Thread: A GNOME Flavor Of Ubuntu - "GNOME-buntu"

Hybrid View

Default A GNOME Flavor Of Ubuntu - "GNOME-buntu"

Phoronix: A GNOME Flavor Of Ubuntu - "GNOME-buntu"

Thanks to growing user-interest, it looks like there is going to be a GNOME Shell flavor of Ubuntu to satisfy those who aren't fond of the direction of Canonical's Unity desktop...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEwMTU

Personally, I just think they should include Gnome Shell and Gnome Panel in the default Ubuntu. I mean, they really don't take very much space since all the libraries are already there.

Both the panel and the shell are available in the repositories already, but they're not installed by default of course.

I don't care about another Ubuntu spin shipping GNOME Shell or Classic (as they're in the repos already). I only care them to be as close to upstream as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by brent View Post
    Both the panel and the shell are available in the repositories already, but they're not installed by default of course.
    Obviously I realize this, what I am saying is that it would be nice if they just included them by default considering their negligable size.

There might be a point to having gnome 3 there pre installed if it did not suck so bad.

I think it's easier to multitask with webos than gnome shell.

Canonical was wise to split from gnome and try to go their own way. It's probably the only practical way to modernize the linux desktop.

Not that what they came up with was particularly good.

This GNOME Ubuntu flavor would bring in GNOME Boxes, Abiword/Gnumeric rather than LibreOffice, ....
    What about Ease

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    Obviously I realize this, what I am saying is that it would be nice if they just included them by default considering their negligable size.
    I very much agree with you, but unfortunately it doesn't look like it will happen.