Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41

Thread: NVIDIA Issues New 302 Linux Beta

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Isn't KMS also required to run Xorg as non-root, due to drivers shifting into kernelspace ring (so no root priviledges for hardware-level calls are needed with KMS) ? So, KMS = tolerance against priveledge escals in Xorg.

    Also, KMS gives a bit of performance boost and frees from Xorg dependency for graphics per se.

    Nvidia linux drivers are result of cutting down windows release and refactoring it with bindings (to my knowledge), so the base driver is designed for (more-less) microkernel nt, which means it will be additional effort (for every driver release) to make it work in-kernel well, which means extra cost to nvidia, which means no.
    Last edited by crazycheese; 05-21-2012 at 11:10 AM.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Isn't KMS also required to run Xorg as non-root, due to drivers shifting into kernelspace ring (so no root priviledges for hardware-level calls are needed with KMS) ?
    No, nvidia hasn't needed X as root since forever, since before there was KMS. All you need is access to the /dev/nvidia* nodes. By default everyone has that, some distros (I know of Gentoo) limit access to users in the video group. The video group is also default for KMS drivers, look into /dev/dri and you'll see it. So there's no difference between open drivers and nvidia in this regard. The reason we still run X as root is input handling, not graphics.

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Also, KMS gives a bit of performance boost and frees from Xorg dependency for graphics per se.
    I recall tests showing that KMS/DRI2 actually has a bit lower performance than UMS/DRI1. I recall also reading about the reasons for that, but I don't know them right now, I'd have to search again to refresh my memory.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
    I recall tests showing that KMS/DRI2 actually has a bit lower performance than UMS/DRI1.
    Note for Michael: that one is worth new article "KMS/UMS performance comparsion".

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    .ca
    Posts
    392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
    And yes, you can switch between drivers without reboot. You need to unbind nouveau from the console, then you can rmmod the module. From here:
    Code:
    echo 0 > /sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon1/bind
    rmmod nouveau
    /etc/init.d/consolefont restart
    rmmod ttm
    rmmod drm_kms_helper
    rmmod drm
    Cool, thanks! Will try that.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Isn't KMS also required to run Xorg as non-root, due to drivers shifting into kernelspace ring (so no root priviledges for hardware-level calls are needed with KMS) ? So, KMS = tolerance against priveledge escals in Xorg.
    kernel modesetting is required, KMS is not.

    They really should have named KMS something else, because it seems every single time KMS comes up people confuse the OSS API implementation with the general idea the acronym stands for.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by not.sure View Post
    I'm not.sure KMS was such a great idea to begin with. For example, is it possible to switch between nouveau and blob without rebooting? It seems thanks to KMS you can't ever unload the nouveau kernel module, whereas the blob is only needed to start X. That also allows for easy driver updates w/o reboot.
    Well... "easy driver updates w/o reboot" is overstating it a bit. I mean you do have to close down X, unload the blob kernel module, reload the new one, then restart X. You can do it... but rebooting is probably easier.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    kernel modesetting is required, KMS is not.

    They really should have named KMS something else, because it seems every single time KMS comes up people confuse the OSS API implementation with the general idea the acronym stands for.
    Maybe it should be named KMS-API ?

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    Well... "easy driver updates w/o reboot" is overstating it a bit. I mean you do have to close down X, unload the blob kernel module, reload the new one, then restart X. You can do it... but rebooting is probably easier.
    I don't think that 'not.sure' was overstating it at all. Going from init 5 to init3, unload/reload nvidia, then switch back to init 5 is not a big deal, nor difficult to do and is many times faster than rebooting.

    I would argue that rebooting is only easier if the user doesn't really know what i would call "linux basics" and/or they are uncomfortable with maintaining their own system.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ninez View Post
    I don't think that 'not.sure' was overstating it at all. Going from init 5 to init3, unload/reload nvidia, then switch back to init 5 is not a big deal, nor difficult to do and is many times faster than rebooting.

    I would argue that rebooting is only easier if the user doesn't really know what i would call "linux basics" and/or they are uncomfortable with maintaining their own system.
    How can I do this then? Because I get nvidia driver updates frequently and if there's an easier way, I'd want to do it.

    The way I was doing it was to log out of my gnome session, go to a VT, login, kill all gnome and X stuff, rmmod the module, insmod the new one, then restart X and gnome, logout on the VT console then go back to my X VT and login. Is there an easier way?

    In comparison, rebooting takes about 15 seconds for me and requires no input after selecting the option. The biggest neg to the reboot is that I lose my open windows and have to login and restart everything, but that seems necessary regardless.

    Maybe on the same topic... I'm kinda surprised that kernel hot-swapping isn't available yet. Haven't they been talking about this for years?

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    How can I do this then? Because I get nvidia driver updates frequently and if there's an easier way, I'd want to do it.

    The way I was doing it was to log out of my gnome session, go to a VT, login, kill all gnome and X stuff, rmmod the module, insmod the new one, then restart X and gnome, logout on the VT console then go back to my X VT and login. Is there an easier way?
    why logout,kill gnome, xorg, and switch VT (all) manually? - that doesn't make any sense to me. You know what runlevels are right?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runlevel

    Instead of wasting your time ~ open gnome-terminal and type: 'sudo init 3' - which will do all of that in one fowl swoop, minus switching VTs which isn't even needed in this case.... then once you have unloaded / reloaded (new) nvidia... then just type; sudo init 5 (which will start up everything again) ~ that's what i mean about linux basics, understanding what something as old and common place as runlevels. what they are and how to use them, properly.

    you are doing a bunch of unnecessary stuff, that probably does make rebooting seem easier.

    Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    In comparison, rebooting takes about 15 seconds for me and requires no input after selecting the option. The biggest neg to the reboot is that I lose my open windows and have to login and restart everything, but that seems necessary regardless.
    yup, necessary regardless

    Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    Maybe on the same topic... I'm kinda surprised that kernel hot-swapping isn't available yet. Haven't they been talking about this for years?
    I think so, but honestly don't pay that much attention.
    Last edited by ninez; 05-21-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •