Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VMware Preps To Push More Mainline Kernel Code

Default VMware Preps To Push More Mainline Kernel Code

Phoronix: VMware Preps To Push More Mainline Kernel Code

To further enhance the Linux virtualization experience with VMware products, the company is preparing to push the Virtual Machine Communication Interface and VMCI Sockets into the mainline Linux kernel...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEwMzc

Why is Vmware allowed to plant hooks to its closed, proprietary products directly into the linux kernel ?

Quote Originally Posted by dsmithhfx View Post
    Why is Vmware allowed to plant hooks to its closed, proprietary products directly into the linux kernel ?
    Because Linux devs said "we don't offer a driver ABI because vendors should put their drivers in the kernel". So VMWare now puts their drivers in the kernel.

Default VMware-specific?

Is this VMware-specific or something that could easily be used by other virtual machines also?

I think it is great that VMware is contributing open source code to the kernel.
    But I will not use VMware since it is proprietary software, I only use free open source software.

Refusing to use proprietary software, simply because its not opensource is retarded. Use whats best for the job.

He doesn't even realize that he used proprietary software to post to this forum (vBulletin).

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Because Linux devs said "we don't offer a driver ABI because vendors should put their drivers in the kernel". So VMWare now puts their drivers in the kernel.
    You didn't even really understand that question, did you? Better start some good old ABI flame war.

The answer is: It seems they won't be getting it in (easily), exactly because it's only used by them. Like everybody else they will be encouraged to use facilities and interfaces that are available, and make new stuff generic so everybody can use it.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmithhfx View Post
    Why are you using a computer with closed-source BIOS and closed-source microcode, an ethernet card with closed-source microcode, keyboard and mouse with closed-source microcode, a DSL modem with closed-source microcode, and a digital display with closed-source microcode? What about the controller processors on your disk drives? Do you have the source code to these proprietary products? If not you should immediately rip all of these things out of your computer and throw them in the trash.

Really you need to abandon all motor vehicles immediately and start walking, because it would be hard to name a motorized vehicle that does not contain many many thousands of lines of closed-source software code.

You should stay out of the hospital too, because heaven help you if your medical data is handled by closed-source software.
    Last edited by frantaylor; 05-16-2012 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by not.sure View Post
    You didn't even really understand that question, did you? Better start some good old ABI flame war.

The answer is: It seems they won't be getting it in (easily), exactly because it's only used by them. Like everybody else they will be encouraged to use facilities and interfaces that are available, and make new stuff generic so everybody can use it.
    I see no strong indication of that. Which isn't a bad idea, mind you. But it doesn't look like a requirement at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    (I use VMware Fusion on my main business system)
    So, It means Michael's main OS is OS X, doesn't it?