Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The May 2012 Open-Source Radeon Graphics Showdown

Quote Originally Posted by Pontostroy View Post
    Something is wrong with ubuntu or Unity.

I tested with worst settings and got 63 fps.
    pcie_gen2=0,vblank_mode=1,swapbuffers=on,colortill ing=off,kwin effects=on
    http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...BY-GOG09979773

Enabling all optimization i got ~130fps without any magic and patches.
    I suspect it is the radeon.pcie_gen2=1 setting. The problem is with pcie_gen2 enabled I won't get lightsmark to run. The setting seems to be still not stable. But there is a minimal (2-3 fps) increase with warsow.

I've got lightsmark running with pcie_gen2, had one of the dependencies messed up. I still won't get it over 66fps...

Although with vblank_mode=0 I am getting 160% performance in warsaw! http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...AR-MERGE234509

Also running recent vdrift version with -gl2 option at 1920x1080 and vblank_mode=0 will almost double the frame rate from 17fps towards 30fps. That is 50-60% performance compared to windows which is quite impressive.

That is 50-60% performance compared to windows which is quite impressive.
    That depends on whether your Windows number teared too. If you get 60% tearing compared to Windows tearfree, it's not so great.

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    That depends on whether your Windows number teared too. If you get 60% tearing compared to Windows tearfree, it's not so great.
    I've noticed no tearing(racing game). But I've noticed the difference between almost unplayable 17 and fluid 30fps...

Btw does anyone know why tear-free display is so expensive (on linux) reducing the fps by a factor of two?

Just retested vdrift with/without vblank_mode=0 and am getting 30fps for both. WTF...

Quote Originally Posted by log0 View Post
    Btw does anyone know why tear-free display is so expensive (on linux) reducing the fps by a factor of two?
    It's not a Linux problem per se. Tear-free is slow because you can only flip between frames as fast as the refresh rate on your monitor. If you miss a vblank window, you half the FPS because the next flip won't happen until the next vblank period. The next frame has to wait until the flip happens before it can render. For smoother vblanked rendering you really need a flip queue rather than just double buffering. The app then renders frames as fast as it can and the completed frames enter the queue to be displayed and there is no waiting for the previous flip.

But why are Windows people not griping about performance vs tearing?

I understand that the problem is generic, but Windows appears to have had it solved long ago. Why is that solution so elusive for Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by phred14 View Post
    But why are Windows people not griping about performance vs tearing?

I understand that the problem is generic, but Windows appears to have had it solved long ago. Why is that solution so elusive for Linux?
    Windows supports flip queues and a much more advanced presentation layer, the open source stack does not yet.

What is a "flip queue", (I can start guessing, but I'd like to see a non-guess.) and why can't it be done in X/mesa/drivers?

My guess says that you render off-screen, and put a pointer to that off-screen buffer into a "flip queue". Then during each blank interval they display the most recent entry and discard any stale entries. That then says that compositing might be a part of this.

Will Wayland/Weston correspond more directly to the "more advanced presentation layer"?