Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
That's not too unrealistic.

I agree with the sentiment on the current level, example the Vivaldi. The crews for Mer,Tizen,Canonical,KDE all need to step to the side and hash out working roms for the various tablets. They need to get the ball rolling so that people can buy product, install, and spur on further development. At the moment, these crews are making the operating systems, but there's no bridge for average users to get them running on their cheap tablets. You have to dedicated a lot of time to even get a working kernel.

There are a lot of missed opportunities.
Imho, the vivaldi route is a good one. Taking an existing and proven device that is affordable, hackable/open source-able (for some value thereof) and resellable, and then putting a proper linux on it and selling it is a very good proof of concept and i hope that it even is a minor commercial success. I just hope that they really can get the touchscreen code out in the open so that they correct Zenithink's horrible GPL violation.

Hashing out working "roms" for __all__ the various tablets is a sisyphean task, especially since most vendors are gross GPL violators. Better to get a few actual results in the real world than just make bold statements and raise expectations that cannot be met.