Thread: Linux Support Finally For Creative Sound Core3D

Hybrid View

Default Linux Support Finally For Creative Sound Core3D

Phoronix: Linux Support Finally For Creative Sound Core3D

The Linux 3.5 kernel will introduce support for the Sound Core3D audio cards that were launched by Creative last year...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEwNTg

Default Just buy a Xonar

My Asus Xonar DX has a real PCIe interface and works great with the stock Linux audio drivers. The very name "Creative" should get these criminals in trouble for deceptive marketing since the only "creative" thing they do is make up excuses for putting out crap products. Creative deserves to die and nobody will miss them.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckula View Post
    [...]
    I have a Asus Xonar D1 and I'm also pretty satisfied with it. But I'm also satisfied with my Creative Zen Stone, which I've used as my default MP3 player the last 6 years or even more Unfortunately it looks like they don't produce such robust little mp3-players anymore. It seems I have to use this mp3 player until it is broken...

I haven't use a Creative Zen for a while, do they still require that horrible software under Windows and what is the situation under Linux?

Why on earth would anybody want to buy a sound card nowadays unless they need something for multichannel recordings?

If I want good sound quality I just pipe out over SPDIF or HDMI and have a nice receiver do all the work.

Default I'll never buy Creative sound cards again

The support for anything but windows is just absent. X-Fi, I currently have supported on linux with minimal set of features and no better than average HDA, no support advanced options.

Quote Originally Posted by AJenbo View Post
    I haven't use a Creative Zen for a while, do they still require that horrible software under Windows and what is the situation under Linux?
    I'm not sure about the more advanced Creative multimedia players, but I can use my Zen Stone just like a USB flash drive under Linux and put my mp3 files on it. Under Windows I would have the advantage that I can also adjust the maximum sound volume and I could also use Audible software. But audible is crap... (poor sound quality of the audiobooks and especially the nonexistant support for Linux etc.)

On PC the audio is dead anyway. Those wanting audio output get it in form of built-in audio codec which has good signal/noise anyway and usually spdif/coaxial out.
    Those wanting audio input, buy audio interfaces with very good signal/noise and multiple connections.
    Creative is dead since SB128 as it failed to produce anything innovative and has also attacked and destroyed Aureal.
    The so-called audio-card for PC is waste of money.

Regarding *this* card, I already researched and replied here. Core3d is overpriced useless marketing junk.

It is of course, very welcome to see new hardware support in kernel regardless of what hardware it is. Does it support THX and CrystalVoice btw?
    Last edited by crazycheese; 05-24-2012 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrin View Post
    I have a Asus Xonar D1 and I'm also pretty satisfied with it. But I'm also satisfied with my Creative Zen Stone, which I've used as my default MP3 player the last 6 years or even more Unfortunately it looks like they don't produce such robust little mp3-players anymore. It seems I have to use this mp3 player until it is broken...
    I would suggest you to get a SanDisk Sansa player and rockbox it! I own a Fuze+ (and a Fuze v2 before that) and it works great with rockbox, if you prefer smaller players there's the Clip+ or Clip Zip that are also rockbox-ready.