Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013: A Good Year For Open-Source AMD?

@bridgman
    is there still work being done for the UVD ???
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Yes, although we're not at the point where I can say anything more encouraging than before about chances of exposing the HW.
    What about the video encoder that the new chips have?

I'm not particularly in a hurry to get support for it, I'm just wondering if it's a minefield of patents/lawyers as well, or if you think that would be easier than decoding through UVD.

Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post

You made my day. Thanks.
    "Laugh over loud"

sure no problem I'm always happy if i can give a helping hand.

you are the second in this week

the other one:
    droste:"Insulting people and getting personal does _not_ mean you're rhetorically gifted. (You used stratagem 20)"

Qaridarium:"if you are right here and i'm just using the "The Art of Being Right" then this is the voucher for it that I can see someone doing the same because the same is the same and a dog recognizes a different dog when he barks. "

droste: "stratagem 26, but you got me there ;-) you won this time :-P"

full text here: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...ng-Close/page3

Quote Originally Posted by airlied View Post
    Yeah I suspect there are block on the gpu that fglrx powers off dynamically to get even lower than the min one.

I'm not sure, if anyone was going to work on power saving I'd recommend the nouveau approach and reverse engineer fglrx rather than talking to AMD, and definitely try not be covered by an NDA.

While improving the current code might be worth it for a while, its suboptimal in the long term, and reverse engineering fglrx would probably produce a much more useful benefit.

Dave.
    If reverse engineering the FGLRX is more useful than using specs from AMD then the hole support from AMD is a lie?

or maybe i didn't understand you here.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    If reverse engineering the FGLRX is more useful than using specs from AMD then the hole support from AMD is a lie?

or maybe i didn't understand you here.
    yeah you didn't understand because I never said it in a general way. We just know in some cases that fglrx uses the hw in ways that the docs don't/won't cover, e.g. UVD. In most cases this isn't true, and its fine to never RE fglrx, because the docs are fine.

So really in most cases I wouldn't dream of RE'ing fglrx since we have good enough docs/access to engineers.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Don't think we were talking about turning UVD off -- I was talking about decoding video with it.
    Of course I meant "UVD and other unused blocks on the card", but didn't quite phrase that right.

yeah you didn't understand because I never said it in a general way. We just know in some cases that fglrx uses the hw in ways that the docs don't/won't cover, e.g. UVD. In most cases this isn't true, and its fine to never RE fglrx, because the docs are fine.

So really in most cases I wouldn't dream of RE'ing fglrx since we have good enough docs/access to engineers.
    ok then in "video playback" and "power-management" the spec and AMD support is a lie... and the other stuff from AMD is fine.

i really don't understand AMD here.

ok then in "video playback" and "power-management" the spec and AMD support is a lie...
    There's still a little difference in "good enaugh so it works, but not as good as it possibly could" and "a lie".

ok then in "video playback" and "power-management" the spec and AMD support is a lie... and the other stuff from AMD is fine.

i really don't understand AMD here.
    is that like the cake is a lie?

not sure who you think AMD lied to, they never said they'd provide open support for anything until they cleared it.

Dave.

not sure who you think AMD lied to, they never said they'd provide open support for anything until they cleared it.

Dave.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXY View Post
    There's still a little difference in "good enaugh so it works, but not as good as it possibly could" and "a lie".

ok maybe not a "lie" but a deliberate deception with fraudulent only for good PR and the plan of irritating consumers?

Dave.
    The cake is a lie!!!
    The cake is a lie!!!
    The cake is a lie!!!
    The cake is a lie!!!
    The cake is a lie!!!

OK. Never mind... On a serious note, I have not seen any commits lately for VDPAU State Tracker. Does anyone know if H.264 support is in the works yet? I had to move to NVIDIA card for my HTPC about six months ago and was not particularly happy about it.

Or do I get sent back to the "Aperture Science Enrichment Center" for asking this question?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RthZgszykLs