Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 104

Thread: 2013: A Good Year For Open-Source AMD?

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amphigory View Post
    The cake is a lie!!!
    The cake is a lie!!!
    The cake is a lie!!!
    The cake is a lie!!!
    The cake is a lie!!!

    OK. Never mind... On a serious note, I have not seen any commits lately for VDPAU State Tracker. Does anyone know if H.264 support is in the works yet? I had to move to NVIDIA card for my HTPC about six months ago and was not particularly happy about it.

    Or do I get sent back to the "Aperture Science Enrichment Center" for asking this question?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RthZgszykLs
    Will AMD even touch h.264 support, or will the community have to do that because of patent issues?

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Will AMD even touch h.264 support, or will the community have to do that because of patent issues?
    Christian König started H.264 work back in January I believe. It should be safe as long as it is left as a build option (akin to '--enable-texture-float' switch).

  3. #83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amphigory View Post
    Christian König started H.264 work back in January I believe. It should be safe as long as it is left as a build option (akin to '--enable-texture-float' switch).
    And then he got hired by AMD and now they pay him to work on something else...

    I think it's safe to say that you can forget about H.264 support (whether it be UVD or shader approach) in the open MAD drivers for the coming years. Nobody is working on it and AMD don't seem to care.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    And then he got hired by AMD and now they pay him to work on something else...

    I think it's safe to say that you can forget about H.264 support (whether it be UVD or shader approach) in the open MAD drivers for the coming years. Nobody is working on it and AMD don't seem to care.
    It's "safe to say" in the sense that nobody will hunt you down and hurt you for saying it, but (reads again to be sure) yep, everything else you said in that post was wrong.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Slightly OT but I'm wondering if Intel, AMD, and NVIDIA will all have their collective asses kicked by ARMv8 (64 bit) based chipsets? My Samsung Galaxy SII (Exynos 4, ARMv7 core) delivers awesome performance considering it is such a low power device. I'd buy a laptop with ARMv8 today if I could. It would be cool to have a notebook one only had to charge every three days or so... :-)

    Edit: Just read the NVIDIA is jumping on the ARM bandwagon...
    Last edited by amphigory; 06-05-2012 at 01:26 PM.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    And then he got hired by AMD and now they pay him to work on something else...

    I think it's safe to say that you can forget about H.264 support (whether it be UVD or shader approach) in the open MAD drivers for the coming years. Nobody is working on it and AMD don't seem to care.
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    It's "safe to say" in the sense that nobody will hunt you down and hurt you for saying it, but (reads again to be sure) yep, everything else you said in that post was wrong.
    EPIC LOL...... AnonymousCoward really floats in the liquid manure here.

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Did someone say "food" ?

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    99

    Default Jam Tomorrow

    This is all starting to sound reminiscent of Chiang Kai Shek, who promised every Chinese New Year that "We will retake the mainland". The truth is the "Nationalists" went further into decline with each passing year.

    And so it is with AMD and their lame duck open source efforts. Things are going backwards, not forward. I was once an advocate for the open source radeon driver, because I was a weak-willed, gullible fool, believing the extravagant promises.

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gordboy View Post
    This is all starting to sound reminiscent of Chiang Kai Shek, who promised every Chinese New Year that "We will retake the mainland". The truth is the "Nationalists" went further into decline with each passing year.

    And so it is with AMD and their lame duck open source efforts. Things are going backwards, not forward. I was once an advocate for the open source radeon driver, because I was a weak-willed, gullible fool, believing the extravagant promises.
    I'll see you at the party.

    Cheers,
    Mao Zedong

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,078

    Default

    Christian König started H.264 work back in January I believe. It should be safe as long as it is left as a build option (akin to '--enable-texture-float' switch).
    And then he got hired by AMD and now they pay him to work on something else...

    I think it's safe to say that you can forget about H.264 support (whether it be UVD or shader approach) in the open MAD drivers for the coming years. Nobody is working on it and AMD don't seem to care.
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    It's "safe to say" in the sense that nobody will hunt you down and hurt you for saying it, but (reads again to be sure) yep, everything else you said in that post was wrong.
    Great news. I'm taking this as official confirmation direct from AMD that he's currently working on h.264 support and it will be available to end users soon.

    Don't disappoint me

  10. #90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    soon.
    I doesn't see this anywhere, but I hope to see UVD support soon too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •