Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 50

Thread: X.Org To Pay For Better Nouveau GPU Reclocking

  1. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    more stable, less buggy
    I give you example: http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=432#c14 (commentary 14) - make conclusion here.
    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    better in every way
    Especially in Optimus support way.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,028

    Default

    Nvidia post changelogs, AMD doesn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    I give you example: http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=432#c14 (commentary 14) - make conclusion here.
    Oh, so it actually happens that AMD read and fix things.
    I am pleasantly surprised.

    Quote Originally Posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    IEspecially in Optimus support way.
    Well multi-GPU (SLI / CrossFire) and GPU-switching (Optimus / ATI Hybrid Graphics, Hybrid CrossFire, PowerXpress) is something that works on both Nvidia and AMD.
    So I don't think Nvidia is any worse than AMD here.

    Isn't it so that Nvidia drivers are faster, less buggy and more stable than AMD?
    Even though AMD is much slower out with new releases.

  3. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Nvidia post changelogs, AMD doesn't.
    Let's talk about AMD and nVidia web-site design, if you can't find what to say about drivers.

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Oh, so it actually happens that AMD read and fix things.
    I am pleasantly surprised.
    You not understand - there is no bug in fglrx. In this case bug in Gnome and nVidia driver, but everyone blame AMD and, like you, talking about bugs in fglrx driver.

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Well multi-GPU (SLI / CrossFire) and GPU-switching (Optimus / ATI Hybrid Graphics, Hybrid CrossFire, PowerXpress) is something that works on both Nvidia and AMD.
    Optimus works on nVidia? Cool! Show me same switch in nvidia-setting: http://i.imgur.com/zfoZz.png
    If there is no such switch, why you talk about "better in every way"? That simply not true.

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Isn't it so that Nvidia drivers are faster, less buggy and more stable than AMD?
    Above I give you example that perfectly show why people think about nVidia driver as about "less buggy" and "more stable" (you too). Now about "faster": http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...d_radeon_win12 (don't forget to compare GPU price).

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Even though AMD is much slower out with new releases.
    So, I need to put this link again?
    http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...589#post260589
    Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 05-26-2012 at 09:27 AM.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    Optimus works on nVidia? Cool! Show me same switch in nvidia-setting: http://i.imgur.com/zfoZz.png
    If there is no such switch, why you talk about "better in every way"? That simply not true.
    Oh, that's pretty cool.
    I thought GPU switching didn't work on either AMD or Nvidia.
    Seems it works on at least AMD, thats great!

  5. #35

    Default

    It works for one year: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=OTI3Mg (only MUX-less supported).

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    111

    Default

    I'm just laughing my ass off by reading on how some people defends Catalyst (free drivers are a whole other story), like if it was purrfect situation ... when those drivers, in fact are horrible even in Windows itself.
    Maybe you people don't spend your time giving up support/maintenance to linux systems with this "special" piece of software ... or aren't graphic programmers, because I can hardly imagine how can you like Catalyst.

    Plus, I see some stuff like the Optimus support being mentioned, like if that would change compliance, stability and such of the driver. Out of that, it was a cheap shot, honestly.

    Regards.

  7. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vertexSymphony View Post
    I'm just laughing my ass off by reading on how some people defends Catalyst (free drivers are a whole other story), like if it was purrfect situation ... when those drivers, in fact are horrible even in Windows itself.
    I like this "in fact"! No proof, just "in fact".

    Quote Originally Posted by vertexSymphony View Post
    Plus, I see some stuff like the Optimus support being mentioned, like if that would change compliance, stability and such of the driver.
    http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...556#post264556 - answer to second quote.

    Quote Originally Posted by vertexSymphony View Post
    nVidia doesn't need that to support Optimus on Linux. With Catalyst MUX-less Intal HD + Radeon HD works fine for one year, so it may works in Optimus case too, but nVidia doesn't care about laptop users, so they not implement this.

    Read nVidia engineer carefully - do you even notice, Robert Morell doesn't talk about Optimus (Intel HD + GeForce) and support of existing users? He talk only about Tegra + GeForce. Good luck to you in waiting for official Optimus support by nVidia. Sure, you probably get it someday, but don't wait it soon.
    Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 05-26-2012 at 08:52 PM.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    With Catalyst MUX-less Intal HD + Radeon HD works fine for one year
    Does it? Or is it just a hack where everything is rendered by Radeon and output on Intel. From what I know it's the hack. But if I know wrong, if Catalyst has proper support where Radon kicks in just for a specific app and shuts itself off when you close the app, then educate me. I'm always willing to learn.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    111

    Default

    I like this "in fact"! No proof, just "in fact".
    Just search on the web how many times the AMD driver caused BSODs on windows even with legit code, that ignoring needing tweaks to code that is JUST FINE.
    put the keywords and you'll see A RAIN of links ... without counting games that caused BSODs, you'll see stuff like tesselation code causing BSODs or even furmark from one day to another.

    Have fun with your search engine.

    nVidia doesn't need that to support Optimus on Linux. With Catalyst MUX-less Intal HD + Radeon HD works fine for one year, so it may works in Optimus case too, but nVidia doesn't care about laptop users, so they not implement this.

    Read nVidia engineer carefully - do you even notice, Robert Morell doesn't talk about Optimus (Intel HD + GeForce) and support of existing users? He talk only about Tegra + GeForce. Good luck to you in waiting for official Optimus support by nVidia. Sure, you probably get it someday, but don't wait it soon.
    Thanks for your speculation.

    P.S → You never answered if you're a graphics programmer or give support/maintenance to systems with these cards ... because yeah, is easy to blindly talk out of personal taste, than having angry people around because things do not work or crash from one moment to another

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vertexSymphony View Post
    Just search on the web how many times the AMD driver caused BSODs on windows even with legit code, that ignoring needing tweaks to code that is JUST FINE.
    put the keywords and you'll see A RAIN of links ... without counting games that caused BSODs, you'll see stuff like tesselation code causing BSODs or even furmark from one day to another.

    Have fun with your search engine.
    There was a lawsuit against MS that actually brought the exact numbers of these BSODs to the public. The #1 cause was NVidia drivers. AMD drivers were #2.

    NVidia was pretty far ahead of AMD, although if you correlated it with the number of users actually using the hardware I believe the ratio came out very similar between the 2 companies.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •