Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD Radeon OpenCL On Linux - Is It That Bad?

Hybrid View

Default AMD Radeon OpenCL On Linux - Is It That Bad?

Phoronix: AMD Radeon OpenCL On Linux - Is It That Bad?

A story run on Phoronix yesterday was AMD admitting it has Linux problems and are looking to improve the situation. In large part it comes down to improving OpenCL on Linux with the Catalyst driver, but how does the OpenCL Linux performance stand today? Here's some benchmarks to answer that question...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEwOTk

Now if you actually compare the results with the windows version of Catalyst you might be able to determine if the Linux driver are better or worse

Without such comparisons you can't confirm or dispute AMD's comments
    Last edited by FireBurn; 05-30-2012 at 06:39 AM. Reason: mention Catalyst

Default What about the APUs ?

It would have been nice to see numbers about the A8 APus, since the GPU is supposed to help the CPU with this kind of task on these devices.

at least we got another german beer picture...

Default Blockings adds

I use NoScript and AdBlock Plus, and I do block all ads on Phoronix.
    I will not whitelist ads on Phoronix. I will continue block all ads.

Phoronix without ads blocked have popups, full screen ads, flash ads, and all kinds of stupid shit that makes the site slow as hell to load, the browser lock up, etc.
    If it were unobtrusive lightweight text ads like Google AdWords, maybe I wouldn't block that.

P.S. I feel sorry for all the premium subscribers who have to put up with all beer picture crap.
    P.P.S. Maybe premium subscribers should have an option not to have beer crap in the articles?

I Miss the CPU result :/

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post

Phoronix without ads blocked have popups, full screen ads, flash ads, and all kinds of stupid shit that makes the site slow as hell to load, the browser lock up, etc.
    If it were unobtrusive lightweight text ads like Google AdWords, maybe I wouldn't block that.

P.S. I feel sorry for all the premium subscribers who have to put up with all beer picture crap.
    P.P.S. Maybe premium subscribers should have an option not to have beer crap in the articles?
    Premium Subscriber here... I don't mind beer on the site as it helps me learn about new varieties to try (or make).

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post

Premium subscriber here (in fact, I just auto-renewed my subscription again today), and :

1. I very proudly / angrily block all ads on Phoronix, due to the 4+ years problem that Michael refuses to fix that the site forgets your login after 15 minutes and you have to go to the forums and then back to get rid of the ads via AdBlock. Michael talks about Radeon developers "still" not doing this or that after a few months; try fixing a simple authentication problem that's been around since the inception of this site!
    2. I really dislike the beer stuff, but I can't say I hate it. I skip right past it usually, and if there are tidbits in the middle that might be relevant to Linux / hardware / gaming, I miss those bits... oh well. I'd rather miss them than have to read through all this beer crap, as you called it. Anyway, the issue isn't such a big deal to me, because if it were, I'd cancel my premium and stop visiting the site. I dislike it but it isn't a deal-breaker for me.

Michael's a necessary evil. I need to get my fix of the essence of his news items, many of which are meaningful to me; but at the same time, the presentation and the beer crap really degrade the quality of the site. So the overall Phoronix experience, to me, is like a shit-covered diamond: I put on rubber gloves and claw through the shit to get to the diamond. Sad that he has to drop a turd every time he gives us a diamond instead of just giving us diamonds, but that's life.

Default More so include a baseline non GPU accelerated reference value in your graph.

Quote Originally Posted by FireBurn View Post
    Now if you actually compare the results with the windows version of Catalyst you might be able to determine if the Linux driver are better or worse

Without such comparisons you can't confirm or dispute AMD's comments
    Yep, the graphs are pretty much useless.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    Yep, the graphs are pretty much useless.
    yes because no comparison to nvidia products or CPU driven benchmarks or windows benchmarks or radeon opensource benchmarks

this article just say something like this: the catalyst driver can handle openCL in a way to push benchmark results.

we need comparison to "CPUs" to "Windows" to "Nvidia" products and in the future to the radeon opensource solution.