Thread: AMD's Monthly Driver update cycles for the catalyst is death -WHQL only every 3 month

Hybrid View

Default AMD's Monthly Driver update cycles for the catalyst is death -WHQL only every 3 month

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost...6&postcount=26

Now we get a stable driver every 3 month and a public alpha and a public beta before release "preview drivers" . and more hotfix drivers.

this also end the chaos "two separate driver development paths every month"
    Last edited by Qaridarium; 05-31-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Then best get rid of any signature/control checks as well and push out a driver with kernel 3.4 support (32+64 bit) and xserver 1.12 before 1.13 is out... I am waiting for that...

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Then best get rid of any signature/control checks as well and push out a driver with kernel 3.4 support (32+64 bit) and xserver 1.12 before 1.13 is out... I am waiting for that...
    in your dreams LOL,,, maybe they can turn of the signatur/control checks but i'm sure they don't want to.

Question

I also am left wondering what this exactly means for linux. If bridgman or another amd developer would kindly respond it'd be great.

As from what i could speculate that this change could mean any of the following:
    1. Increased Beta Release - Namely more public beta releases like the 12.6 beta
    2. Hotfix releases - Publicly testable fixes for specific issues ( I think this is doubtful, but you never know )
    3. Quarterly Driver releases ( similar to how WHQL releases work )
    4. Xorg level releases ( Whenever the xsernver gets updated and support is added )
    5. Increased Focus on Open source drivers - This would be excellent since it'd mean overall improvements and a major improvement on out of the box experience. ( I am tired of the countless wine bugs related to the fglrx focus on professional programs)

Quote Originally Posted by Dandel View Post
    I also am left wondering what this exactly means for linux. If bridgman or another amd developer would kindly respond it'd be great.

As from what i could speculate that this change could mean any of the following:
    1. Increased Beta Release - Namely more public beta releases like the 12.6 beta
    2. Hotfix releases - Publicly testable fixes for specific issues ( I think this is doubtful, but you never know )
    3. Quarterly Driver releases ( similar to how WHQL releases work )
    4. Xorg level releases ( Whenever the xsernver gets updated and support is added )
    5. Increased Focus on Open source drivers - This would be excellent since it'd mean overall improvements and a major improvement on out of the box experience. ( I am tired of the countless wine bugs related to the fglrx focus on professional programs)
    • Increased Beta Release - Namely more public beta releases like the 12.6 beta -- Not at all likely to happen, since the aim of the new release cycle is probably to save money, not to increase effort! Betas still require sanitization and obfuscation which is apparently done manually, so they can't just a cut release with no effort.
    • Hotfix releases - Publicly testable fixes for specific issues ( I think this is doubtful, but you never know ) -- For who? CAD vendors? Valve? Good luck getting their attention to push a hotfix for anything we'd actually use... nobody is big enough to get them bite, except those companies that already have a large-dollar value contract with them (Microsoft, EA, etc)
    • Quarterly Driver releases ( similar to how WHQL releases work ) -- At least quarterly drivers seem likely, but that means that now when you have a bug with fglrx, you get to wait at least 3 months instead of 1... and that's assuming it's immediately fixed in the next release (more likely it'll take 4 or 5 releases and TONS of screaming around here to get it noticed).
    • Xorg level releases ( Whenever the xsernver gets updated and support is added ) -- Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!! You have to be KIDDING me. Seriously, you can't make this stuff up. Fglrx supporting an Xorg release in the past year? Ain't gonna happen unless MICROSOFT requests it. And you can bet they won't.
    • Increased Focus on Open source drivers - This would be excellent since it'd mean overall improvements and a major improvement on out of the box experience. ( I am tired of the countless wine bugs related to the fglrx focus on professional programs) -- Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!! Is this sarcasm? They're cutting their proprietary development work back to a smaller crew and you're asking them to support more open source drivers? What are you, drunk? They have like 30 times more proprietary developers than they do open source developers. I'm frankly astounded that they didn't already cut their entire open source team!

Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    • Increased Beta Release - Namely more public beta releases like the 12.6 beta -- Not at all likely to happen, since the aim of the new release cycle is probably to save money, not to increase effort!
    Why not likely to happen? Where is logic here?
    Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    • Xorg level releases ( Whenever the xsernver gets updated and support is added ) -- Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!
    You probably doesn't read this: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...589#post260589