Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD Linux Catalyst: Hardware Owners Screwed?

Hybrid View

Default AMD Linux Catalyst: Hardware Owners Screwed?

Phoronix: AMD Linux Catalyst: Hardware Owners Screwed?

Word is breaking today on the Windows-focused web-sites that AMD's Catalyst driver program has fundamentally changed. How does this impact Linux Catalyst users? Unfortunately, it will likely prove to be in a bad way...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTExMTA

Really... those close source drivers which Linus T. tolerates start to be a pain for everybody. Really. We need ultra high performance GNU GPL drivers for Linux and for *GOOD*. The DRM(BSD)/Mesa(MIT) is turning into a giga-kludge... what a mess, I don't perdict an happy ending, I'm scared.

Waiting for uid313 clever comment.

Quote Originally Posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    Waiting for uid313 clever comment.
    I'm waiting for a quote, link, _anything_ to back up some of the claims in the (blog) post.

Wow, this sounds really bad!

I am glad that I don't own any AMD graphics card.
    I've actually been curious about getting AMD due to them providing documentation to open source developers, but have been hesitant to do so because AMD on Linux is too buggy and the fgrlx is not updated with new X.org releases.

But this news just make it all worse. I won't buy from AMD anything, neither CPU or GPU.

I currently use Nvidia and it works great. But in the future, I won't buy AMD or Nvidia, in the future I will be Intel CPU with integrated graphics because its cheaper to not buy graphics card and the Intel graphics performance is "good enough" even for some gaming.

You might want to wait for an actual announcement. I think you will find that the changes are in line with what folks here have been requesting / suggesting.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    You might want to wait for an actual announcement. I think you will find that the changes are in line with what folks here have been requesting / suggesting.
    Where will such an announcement be placed?

Can it get more actual than a news on Phoronix?

but that would require logic and patience.

You know.

Something these forums aren't known for.

I've pushed the Phoronix story to my own G+ feed while I wait to see if AMD puts anything in my own email inbox about this subject.

Hmm that sounds promising.. Was the comment targeted to commenters here or to Michael?

You might want to wait for an actual announcement.

I think you will find that the changes are in line with what folks here have been requesting / suggesting.
    yeah sure and pigs will fly this year without the aid of an aircraft

"12:04:2011: OVDecode.so Never actually appeared in the Linux lib/x86 dir, did that change all of a sudden today as regards the OpenCL OpenVideo driver for video decode the answer would appear to still be that even a full 18 months+ later they still don't care enough about an OpenCL video decode library to actually write and distribute it for Linux CL use even though AND did supply the headers and the OVDecode.lib for windows use Christmas 2010"

so did you finally write the Linux OVDecode.so code and will you finally be supplying that CL Video Decode library/app with catalyst 12.anything to Linux x86 end users before northern island blows up and southern island isn't worth the Euros people payed into the system.
    Last edited by popper; 06-01-2012 at 04:40 PM.