Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Linux Catalyst: Hardware Owners Screwed?

Quote Originally Posted by aceman View Post
    However, in this very negative thread I could find something positive:
    I congratulate Qaridarium to having kept his comments on topic and actually there were informative and even positively meant sentences.
    (This post is not meant to be sarcastic, I really mean it.)
    hey yes i use the radeon driver for month i dropped the catalyst month ago.

and the funny part is most of the catalyst 12.6 beta "bugfixes" are fixed in the radeon driver for month

example:

- Pre-HD5000 series support removed -- no more HD 2000/3000/4000 series support.
    Radeon driver still do have support for these cards

- Fix for flickering of OpenGL applications when using KWin direct rendering.
    Was never a problem with the Radeon driver

- Fix for random crashes with GNOME Shell.

- Fix for screen corruption with GNOME Shell after enabling anti-aliasing.

- A fix for an OpenGL performance regression.

- Better Ubuntu 12.04 support.

- Linux 3.3 kernel support.

- X.Org Server 1.12 support.

- GNOME3 AMDCCCLE support.

- Experimental support for ShadowPrimary.

this means the hd2000-hd4000 users get ALL these bugfixes by upgrading to the radeon driver.

and remember my words the catalyst is a "LIE" its only a tool to force you into a "planned obsolescence"

if you want a better driver pay a dev to improve the "radeon" driver i do the same with my little money for example i send money in the past to: Oibaf,Michael and Marek for there support and improvements on the radeon driver.

stand up for your rights and don't believe the "Lie" from AMD and there so called "Catalyst" driver

Quote Originally Posted by YaPeL View Post
    So, whats a good replacement for my old 4770 in the nvidia side, both in performance, consumption, and price?
    i can not recommend nvidia if you want switch away from amd buy a Intel Core i5-3570K with Intel HD Graphics 4000

you should not support nvidia because ZERO opensource driver support and no specs.

Well a nv gtx 560 would be cheaper (until 660 is out). there are a few variants of the 560 with differnet speeds, just select one that you can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by Azpegath View Post
    It would be nice to see default S3TC support and floating-point textures though. I don't know if they're enabled by default in Gentoo builds.
    S3tc is supported over the S2TC workaround... http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...s3tc_fix&num=1

ubuntu for example use this workaround.

Quote Originally Posted by YaPeL View Post
    Well thats nice, however 2d acceleration on Foss its a little worse than fglrx, which compared to the nvidia blob completly sux, so, for now its a bye bye to ati, not that I'm mad, the 4770 was a tremendous card.
    send your hd4770 cards to me then i use it i already do have 1

"the Linux driver team seems to be based out of AMD China"

Graphics drivers "made in china" !!?? NO THANK YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by slojam View Post

Actually, a lot of drivers (and I mean a lot) are written in China these days. It's nothing new; it's been going on for years. Also, India.

This is perhaps exacerbated on Windows, where most highly specialized chips such as network cards and audio cards have their drivers written in China or Taiwan or India. Realtek, ASUS... China (well, and Taiwan).

On the open source side, it's hard to pin down where the drivers are written, since you have contributors from all throughout most of the industrialized continents (the Americas, Europe and Asia) and from elsewhere. Suffice to say that a large part of the drivers will be written by Red Hat and Intel employees in the U.S., with the balance coming from contributors and companies scattered worldwide with no particular emphasis anywhere -- although I've noticed a large number of European soloist contributors who don't appear to be associated with any company.

Anyway, from a quality perspective, drivers from typically low-grade areas such as India and China are starting to improve. I was surprised by the high level of reliability and working functionality with my Asus Z77 motherboard and the custom software that Asus provides as optional add-ons. Some of the language sounds obviously translated by non-native speakers, but the functionality is there. They seem to be responding to years of customer complaints about their software being buggy, bloated and broken.

>>allquixotic

Quote Originally Posted by slojam View Post

Actually, a lot of drivers (and I mean a lot) are written in China these days. It's nothing new; it's been going on for years. Also,India.
    <<

I see, but of course i'm meaning proprietary GNU/Linux gfx blobs. I'm pretty sure this is a new development for AMD whom I like. My personal experience with "made in china" anything has been very very very poor, from screw drivers to Apple products to tire chains. Are the Chinese to blame, or is it the American & other first-world designers & engineers who sign off on this crap..? I don't know. Can't beat the price tho. I go to Walmart all the time.

I would have less problem with open source Chinese contributions, because, hey, they are open source and we can examine them. My understanding is that open source culture hasn't really taken root there because you can get (pirated) Windows and any other software you want so easily. Why bother with Linux?

Does the driver catalyst will still be updated to newer versions of xorg and for new kernel? I mean for the HD 2000/3000/4000

I'll probably stick to ubuntu 12.04 for a year or 2 on my amd equipped laptop... should it survive that long. If I'm lucky opensource drivers will be adequate by then.

Having an up to date distro seems less important when you can add great functionality to gnome-shell just by adding extensions.