Thread: AMD: Experimental "ShadowPrimary" Acceleration

Hybrid View

Default AMD: Experimental "ShadowPrimary" Acceleration

Phoronix: AMD: Experimental "ShadowPrimary" Acceleration

Hidden away within the new Catalyst 12.6 Linux driver are 2D acceleration improvements. These improvements aren't visible by default but there's a special command to activate this "ShadowPrimary" support...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTExMTY

Though from the sounds of it, it's basically like using ShadowFB with Catalyst
    ShawdowFB is software-only. More likely this enables an approach similar to SNA.

Do you have a link where SNA is briefly described? I'm not very familiar with all these Linux 2D rendering approaches. ^^

That's a great news if catalyst allows enabling software rendering (I will try to check it a bit later). 2D performance had been so abysmal with the older catalyst releases, that it got really irritating and I had to give up experimenting with OpenCL on my computer.

I recommend giving this one a whirl, I have been using it for the past two days at the suggestion of another user on these forums, and man is it faster for 2d things like scrolling in the web browser, which has been just abysmal for a while now. I haven't noticed any real bad side effects yet either. I'm on a hd5770

Quote Originally Posted by chronniff View Post
    I recommend giving this one a whirl, I have been using it for the past two days at the suggestion of another user on these forums, and man is it faster for 2d things like scrolling in the web browser, which has been just abysmal for a while now. I haven't noticed any real bad side effects yet either. I'm on a hd5770
    Which browser do you use? If Chrome, do you force GPU compositing on all pages?