Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AMD Catalyst Linux 12.6 Beta Has Arrived

it stil flickers on kwin
    back to xserver-xorg-video-radeon

that really sucks, why didn't i pay extra 10-20 bucks for nvidia...

Quote Originally Posted by Nevertime View Post
    I really wish my laptop didn't over heat and shut down using open source drivers....... This could stop my updating kernel and distro.
    Exactly the same here! powersaving/whatever_keeping_cool of the radeon driver is crap!

With catalyst I never get the CPU to more than 50C, but using the radeon driver... things change, and I start considering cooking on my laptop...

Quote Originally Posted by Nevertime View Post
    I really wish my laptop didn't over heat and shut down using open source drivers....... This could stop my updating kernel and distro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vighy
    Exactly the same here! powersaving/whatever_keeping_cool of the radeon driver is crap!

With catalyst I never get the CPU to more than 50C, but using the radeon driver... things change, and I start considering cooking on my laptop...
    I recently filed a bug report for that, may be you can contribute to the solution: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50327

Quote Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
    I recently filed a bug report for that, may be you can contribute to the solution: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50327
    Whoa, that's wierd. Looks like you're seeing the extra heat coming from the CPU not the GPU. That might explain why we're still hearing reports of overheating laptops even though there should be enough GPU power management in the driver already to prevent that (via profiles).

Is there a direct contact at amd who is responsible for fglrx? i mean somebody like mtippett in the past? if there is somebody who followed him he should write in that forum as well, hiding in a corner does not make sense for me. is he(?) a man or a mouse?

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Is there a direct contact at amd who is responsible for fglrx? i mean somebody like mtippett in the past? if there is somebody who followed him he should write in that forum as well, hiding in a corner does not make sense for me. is he(?) a man or a mouse?
    do you want another Bridgman? is like asking: "Do you want total war? Do you want it, if necessary, total and radical than we are today can even imagine the first place?"

Maybe he need an extra invitation to join the total phoronix forum war?

well bridgman does not work on fglrx, but somebody most likely does...

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    well bridgman does not work on fglrx, but somebody most likely does...
    sure but do you think this "woman" want to fight with us ?

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Whoa, that's wierd. Looks like you're seeing the extra heat coming from the CPU not the GPU. That might explain why we're still hearing reports of overheating laptops even though there should be enough GPU power management in the driver already to prevent that (via profiles).
    Exactly. It is not the GPU, it is the CPU that is 15-20C more heat. If you or your company can solve that I will stop complaining.