Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: AMD Catalyst Linux 12.6 Beta Has Arrived

Quote Originally Posted by Kano
    Verified that weird crash on debian wheezy with xserver 1.12.0, 1.12.1, 1.12.1.902. As it was a beta, i want a 2nd one...
    Installed on my Debian SID, also upgraded the xserver to 1.12.902 on the upgrade and fglrx doesn't work. It keeps with a cursor blinking after gdm3 load, and in the xorg log file it apears "no free vt" error. Is that the crash do you say?

Quote Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
    Just checking...

When you guys talk about "overheating", do you actually mean the machine shuts down because the temp exceeds a threshold, or is the laptop simply hotter but otherwise functional?
    Depends on what you call functional. With the fglrx drivers I usually have about 45C CPU temperature on idle and about 65-70C under heavy load. With the radeon drivers I get 60C minimum and under heavy load the CPU goes up to 85-90C. This does not shut down the system, but it is not healthy at all, so I wouldn't call that functional.

The radeond driver is very problematic, first of all the temperature is very high than the binary driver, I get 92 degrees with my laptop hp pavilion dv6 2120, but when I use catalyst driver I get 71/82 degrees. The second problem is that the driver radeon don't had a video aceleration like xvba-video, For me that I have an amd x2 is impossible to watch a movie 1080p with the radeon driver

@Khudsa

You see a bit more in the log file, but the result is of course no X running. I installed a 32 bit system to compare and there X starts with xserver 1.12. I want a new beta with debian 64 bit support, kernel 3.4/3.5 support and maybe with dx10 hardware pci ids... btw. in the debian fglrx packaging a valid signature file was added, so when you run a 32 bit system you will not see a testing watermark. The problematic part is still that sometimes the control file is only for consumer hardware but not for the workstation (firegl) ones. I can accept a whitelist which is exactly the same for the fglrx kernel module for amdcccle and the (useless) control file but not when there are only a subset of the ids. The driver is generic by nature, it usually works even when amd did not test it - and when they tested it it does not mean that the driver is bug free anyway. So just an extra annoying thing than something useful. No win user ever saw a watermark with a beta driver, there even those drivers are promoted in

http://twitter.com/#!/catalystcreator

i think it was the first time that the linux driver link was on the same beta page, usually they called it hotfix for whatever.

I want that driver too Kano, an xserver 1.12, amd64 compatible one...

By the way, the error I say is this:

Code:
    Fatal server error:
    [    80.563] xf86OpenConsole: Cannot find a free VT

Hmmm... for me this driver still doesn't work with kernel 3.4. I have a dual intel/ati 6770 HP laptop. With kernel 3.3 I get:
    Code:
    [     8.432] (II) Loading PCS database from /etc/ati/amdpcsdb
    [     8.434] ukiDynamicMajor: found major device number 253
    [     8.434] ukiDynamicMajor: found major device number 253
    [     8.434] ukiOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID PCI:1:0:0
    [     8.434] ukiOpenDevice: node name is /dev/ati/card0
    [     8.434] ukiOpenDevice: open result is 8, (OK)
    [     8.434] ukiOpenByBusid: ukiOpenMinor returns 8
    [     8.434] ukiOpenByBusid: ukiGetBusid reports PCI:1:0:0
    [     8.696] (II) Turned on the discrete card
    and X starts. But with 3.4:
    Code:
    [    10.576] (II) Loading PCS database from /etc/ati/amdpcsdb
    [    10.587] ukiDynamicMajor: failed to open /proc/ati/major
    [    10.588] ukiDynamicMajor: failed to open /proc/ati/major
    [    10.588] (EE) Fail to open device PCI:1:0:0
    I'm using xf86-video-intel-2.19 and xorg-server-1.12. The ati driver was compiled with the 3.4 patch.
    Any ideas?

Duh, my module was not loading. The same error I had some time ago:

fglrx: Unknown symbol old_rsp (err 0)
    old_rsp is introduced in the patch. So I don't know how to solve it.

(edit) And now I know. I had to disable CONFIG_X86_X32 (x32 ABI). I tried removing that kernel option and it worked. At last, I have a 3.4 kernel with 1.12 xorg-server and fglrx.
    Last edited by zequav; 06-06-2012 at 04:16 AM.