Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve's Gabe Says "Yes" To Steam Linux This Year

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalBrother View Post
    So end of this year in Valve time means 2014 in real time.
    Haha, reminded me about this one:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_Time#Valve_Time

Valve's employee handbook is amazing.

It helps you to understand how there still isn't a Half Life 3 yet, and why Valve Time exists.

http://media1.gameinformer.com/image...ook_lowres.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by kirillkh View Post
    Linux kernel is GPL'd, and how did that help Android?
    Please remind me how Android isn't open source.
    The only parts of Android that aren't open source are some of the drivers, firmware, and the actual Google apps (like Maps, Earth, Navigation, etc).
    Even their kernel changes away slowly being adopted into mainline (albeit, modified like the very recent autosleep pull).

Quote Originally Posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
    I emailed Gabe asking of the email exchange quoted bungie Phorinux was authentic, he said "yes".
    -.- not sure if this is a joke

Quote Originally Posted by kirillkh View Post
    I hope this is a bad joke. Commercialization and embracing of Linux by corporations threatens to turn it into yet another flavor of Android. Linux must stay a system built for its users, not for all kinds of "investors" seeking to use it as a free distribution outlet for selling their snake oil (e.g. DRM'd programs such as Steam). I want Linux to be a safe harbor presenting an alternative to the greedy and insolent practices from the likes of Microsoft, Apple, EA and Blizzard (just to name a few) and so on. Admittedly, Valve's reputation is one of best in that bunch, but let's look at the facts: Steam is DRM, and every DRM goes against the spirit of collaboration, sharing and free software.

I, for one, call for boycott of every DRM on Linux, first and foremost - Steam.
    You are operating under the assumption that a move to Linux for commercial products wouldn't inspire or encourage the use of more open source software. This assumption is, of course, false, since the user is still using an open source system.

You're also operating under the assumption that despite being an open source platform, companies looking to make money from Linux as a targeted platform would not invest in, contribute to, or produce open source software. This assumption is also false.

Is EVERYONE going to magically produce open source software because the entire underlying stack is open source? No. Will some companies see the light? You bet. Who knows what is around the corner if/when Linux gets seriously popular... Perhaps some company will figure out a licensing scheme where they can sell software in source form but still maintain reasonable control of distribution... and games are just inexcusable at this point: Either dual license the engine GPL/noncommercial or just go full GPL. Sell your friggin assets. Proprietary software is important but I don't really think they need to keep the source closed for ANY reason at this point. Sure, you can sell me the software, I'll bite. But give me a friggin copy of the source with it!

For those looking for more confirmation from a slightly more reputable source of gaming news
    http://www.gamingonlinux.com/index.p...for-linux.890/

My own email exchange with Gabe.

Quote Originally Posted by liamdawe View Post
    For those looking for more confirmation from a slightly more reputable source of gaming news

Now I might actually think they've got some sort of plans for steam, though I'll still only believe it if it materialises. I will however stick by my guns for this site - it could be released tomorrow, and any "news" on phoronix would still have been untrue, misleading, incorrect, and just plain false.

Quote Originally Posted by liamdawe View Post

Hopefully you were torrenting some good anime.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    You do have a point.
    When I heard about Android, I was so excited about it. When I finally got one, I felt a bit disgusted with it, but stuck with it realizing everyone else is as bad or worse.
    I like Linux because its free, open source, and pretty free of DRM and malware.
    Ubuntu now have a partner repository with proprietary software.
    How long is it until we get spyware and browser toolbars, changed browser home page, popups and adware and shit like that?

As Linux gets increasingly commercialized the plagues of Windows and the proprietary/commercial software ecosystem infect us.
    This won't happen, I think that in the future linux will be like osx but free of patents.

The email I got was 100% real. Absolutely not any kind of joke or trolling or fakery or anything like that on my part at all. So if that is really Gabe's email address and it is not hacked then yeah it is very much real.
    Last edited by Kristian Joensen; 06-04-2012 at 07:36 PM.