Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Radeon HD 7950 vs. GeForce GTX 680 On Linux

Default Radeon HD 7950 vs. GeForce GTX 680 On Linux

Phoronix: Radeon HD 7950 vs. GeForce GTX 680 On Linux

Should you be looking towards purchasing a new high-end graphics card from AMD or NVIDIA, here are some updated benchmarks of the AMD Radeon HD 7950 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 when both graphics cards were tested under Ubuntu 12.04 with their proprietary Linux graphics drivers.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17405

Thumbs up Very interesting, but...

What's the point of buying those cards if most GPU intensive games are 2-5 years of age?(X3 Reunion, ETQW, Heroes of Newerth, Oilrush)
    Steam games whenever they will come out are also old. I am not aware of any games that could take advantage of those cards. I'd love to play Rage game, but ID don't seem to be interested in porting it.

Only those interested in GPU mining of bitcoins will probably be interested in those tests.
    Though, thanks Michael for interesting review. It was interesting, as usual. And I did not notice any beer photos :P
    Last edited by dimko; 06-04-2012 at 08:27 AM. Reason: mispellings, added Oilrush, which I unresonably forgot

Quote Originally Posted by dimko View Post
    What's the point of buying those cards if most GPU intensive games are 2-5 years of age?(X3 Reunion, ETQW, Heroes of Newerth, Oilrush)
    Steam games whenever they will come out are also old. I am not aware of any games that could take advantage of those cards. I'd love to play Rage game, but ID don't seem to be interested in porting it.

Only those interested in GPU mining of bitcoins will probably be interested in those tests.
    Though, thanks Michael for interesting review. It was interesting, as usual. And I did not notice any beer photos :P
    games like Spring-RTS or 0AD can use these cards but michael do not have a PTS profile of these games because of this you don't know it because his benchmarks are useless because they don't cover Modern-REAL Opensource games

0AD:

Spring 1944:

I understand your point but, isn't Crysis already 5 years old?

Talking Spring

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    games like Spring-RTS or 0AD can use these cards but michael do not have a PTS profile of these games because of this you don't know it because his benchmarks are useless because they don't cover Modern-REAL Opensource games
    Played spring couple of years a ago(not 1945 mode) did not see much difference to be honest with max settings or average ones.
    It may only be noticeable when there are a few hundred unites rendered, system just becomes sluggish...

Need to check out this 0AD thingy, but than i doubt that my Nvidia GTX470 card(overclocker card, that can't be overclocked on Linux, oh irony...) can't handle it reasonably well with maxed out settings.

Default call me when

Quote Originally Posted by bachinchi View Post
    I understand your point but, isn't Crysis already 5 years old?
    there is Crysis on Linux.(no, wine wont cut it, with it's random slowdowns, and generally low performance, and no, it's good, just not good enough)

There doesn't seem to be much between the two hardware outcomes, other than Nvidia are happier to chew power when it's not needed. Example once you obtain a certain frame rate then wasting power is questionable. ATI results were on par with Nvidia but lower power use.

The cheapest HD 7950 3gb is $425AUD in my local area. A GTX680 2gb is $829AUD. What a blow out with Nvidia, they really need to reduce their prices.

The clear winner is ATI for price and performance. The only questionable area is drivers.
    Last edited by e8hffff; 06-04-2012 at 09:35 AM.

Played spring couple of years a ago(not 1945 mode) did not see much difference to be honest with max settings or average ones.
    It may only be noticeable when there are a few hundred unites rendered, system just becomes sluggish...

Need to check out this 0AD thingy, but than i doubt that my Nvidia GTX470 card(overclocker card, that can't be overclocked on Linux, oh irony...) can't handle it reasonably well with maxed out settings.
    the performance clue about this kind of games is you can play spring with 5000 units per player up to 50 000 units on a super large map---

same effect for 0AD any game works well with 1 unit but also with 10 000 units ?

Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    There doesn't seem to be much between the two hardware outcomes, other than Nvidia are happier to chew power when it's not needed. Example once you obtain a certain frame rate then wasting power is questionable. ATI results where on par with Nvidia but lower power use.

The cheapest HD 7950 3gb is $425AUD in my local area. A GTX680 2gb is $829AUD, what a blow out.

The clear winner is ATI for price and performance. The only questionable area is drivers.
    yes right! for a linux user the hd7950 is better.

also linux people should not buy nvidia because of ZERO opensource support

Default Thanks!

Yeah maybe we don't need that kind of power on Linux... or Windows.... I for one think it's great that we can still get the info. BTW am I the only one who can't wait for AMD To stuff a 7950 into a APU?