Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An AMD Legacy Driver With X Server 1.12 Support

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    no its not a true story if a week after that a latency driver popped up with x server 1.12 support
    The first story was not about "no X.Org server 1.12 support", it was a story about not supporting the r600/r700 in the future "main" releases of Catalyst, which was totally true.

and THIS is a PR disaster!
    Exactly. It really seems to me that the PR team has thought: "Whatever, they are the Linux users, they will take what we give them." And after they saw the outcry about that behavior they had to change something very fast.

also why not tell the people something like this: there will be a latency driver update until the opensource driver radeon get some power managment fixes.
    then the people can use the catalyst and after the radeon driver gets usable on notebooks with power management they can switch to the radeon driver.
    Seems to me that you should ask for a job in their PR department. That would have been the right way to do it.

the radeon driver is so close to be a good replacement for the catalyst on hd2000-hd4000 hardware but i can not unterstand why amd don't invest the money to get the last bits done to make it usefull also for notebooks.
    I disagree, it is not only the power management, but also things like video decoding and performance. Well, i don't care much about the performance on my laptop, it is not intended to be used for gaming, but the video decoding thing is definitely something that has to work.

I would like to see support for the statement that there are people "who have been very angry" over this.
    Does anybody actually care?

I sure don't.
    Blob be dead.

Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    I would like to see support for the statement that there are people "who have been very angry" over this.
    Does anybody actually care?

I sure don't.
    Blob be dead.
    Follow the link and you will see it. I am one of those people that are angry and care, since the radeon driver is unusable for me due to thermal problems that don't occur with Catalyst.

This is slightly good news for HD 2000/3000/4000 series owners where the open-source AMD Radeon Linux driver just doesn't cut it yet due to poor performance, missing features (CrossFire, PowerPlay, etc), or bad battery life / thermal performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
    ... it is not only the power management, but also things like video decoding and performance. Well, i don't care much about the performance on my laptop, it is not intended to be used for gaming, but the video decoding thing is definitely something that has to work.
    There seems to be some good news on the performance front for the open source Radeon driver in the 3.5-rc1 kernel:

and finally Alex and Jerome managed to track down a magic set of bits
    that on certain rv740 and evergreen cards allow the correct use of the
    complete set of render backends, this makes the cards operate
    correctly in a number of scenarios we had issues in before, it also
    manages to boost speed on benchmarks my large amounts on these
    specific gpus.

Although this talks about the newer cards, there is this commit:

author Alex Deucher
    Thu, 31 May 2012 23:00:25 +0000 (19:00 -0400)
    committer Dave Airlie
    Fri, 1 Jun 2012 16:00:14 +0000 (17:00 +0100)
    commit 416a2bd274566a6f607a271f524b2dc0b84d9106
    tree 502720262c07cdb14bc14155bc8295cc20a7d411
    parent 95c4b23ec4e2fa5604df229ddf134e31d7b3b378

drm/radeon: fixup tiling group size and backendmap on r6xx-r9xx (v4)

Tiling group size is always 256bits on r6xx/r7xx/r8xx/9xx. Also fix and
    simplify render backend map. This now properly sets up the backend map
    on r6xx-9xx which should improve 3D performance.

Vadim benchmarked also:
    Some benchmarks on juniper (5750), fullscreen 1920x1080,
    first result - kernel 3.4.0+ (fb21affa), second - with these patches:

Lightsmark: 91 fps => 123 fps +35%
    Doom3: 74 fps => 101 fps +36%

Signed-off-by: Alex Deucher
    Signed-off-by: Jerome Glisse
    Signed-off-by: Dave Airlie

Can Michael or someone benchmark the 3.5-rc1 kernel and an older kernel (perhaps 3.4) on one of the older cards that is going to be unsupported by Catalyst?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by madbiologist View Post
    There seems to be some good news on the performance front for the open source Radeon driver in the 3.5-rc1 kernel:

Vadim benchmarked also:
    Some benchmarks on juniper (5750), fullscreen 1920x1080,
    first result - kernel 3.4.0+ (fb21affa), second - with these patches:

Can Michael or someone benchmark the 3.5-rc1 kernel and an older kernel (perhaps 3.4) on one of the older cards that is going to be unsupported by Catalyst?
    Sorry no older card to test here. Just to confirm the performance boost on juniper (5750) with 3.5-rc1.

Just ran the benchmark within FEAR @1400x1050 custom settings.

kernel: 3.4 => 3.5-rc1
    -----------------------------------------
    min : 18 fps => 28 fps +55%
    avg : 32 fps => 49 fps +53%
    max: 69 fps => 109 fps +58%

That's quite significant

The first story was not about "no X.Org server 1.12 support", it was a story about not supporting the r600/r700 in the future "main" releases of Catalyst, which was totally true.

Exactly. It really seems to me that the PR team has thought: "Whatever, they are the Linux users, they will take what we give them." And after they saw the outcry about that behavior they had to change something very fast.

Seems to me that you should ask for a job in their PR department. That would have been the right way to do it.
    I disagree, it is not only the power management, but also things like video decoding and performance. Well, i don't care much about the performance on my laptop, it is not intended to be used for gaming,
    thats why : "Seems to me that you should ask for a job in their PR department." they can not promise stuff they can't deliver because they can't fix the "video decoding" problem because of the Copyprotection security DRM UVD blablabla also "performance" is not a criteria for latency support if you want performance you need to buy new hardware thats because ALL companys make money on "Performance".
    but the video decoding thing is definitely something that has to work.
    yo know 480p videos work well with XV in the radeon driver and if your vanity needs to run copy-protected DRM-Blue-ray shit you have to buy a new notebook its the same with a stand alone blue-ray player if your player DRM is hacked and is out of grantee time you have to buy a new one because he gets blacklisted from the blue-ray codes. in modern time you only rent a functionality for 2-3 years and after that you have to pay again for the same functionality!

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    yo know 480p videos work well with XV in the radeon driver and if your vanity needs to run copy-protected DRM-Blue-ray shit you have to buy a new notebook
    I am neither talking about 480p video (any simple dual-core, if not even single-core can decode that) nor about copy-protected BluRay stuff. Nowadays even the more simple video-cameras for home use produce HD stuff (1080i/p) and the HD3200 in my laptop should be able to play that without any problem. If the driver supports it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    Sorry no older card to test here. Just to confirm the performance boost on juniper (5750) with 3.5-rc1.

Just ran the benchmark within FEAR @1400x1050 custom settings.

kernel: 3.4 => 3.5-rc1
    -----------------------------------------
    min : 18 fps => 28 fps +55%
    avg : 32 fps => 49 fps +53%
    max: 69 fps => 109 fps +58%

That's quite significant
    Quote Originally Posted by madbiologist View Post
    [...]

Signed-off-by: Alex Deucher
    Signed-off-by: Jerome Glisse
    Signed-off-by: Dave Airlie

NICE!!!! very good! i should install a 3.5 kernel

I am neither talking about 480p video (any simple dual-core, if not even single-core can decode that) nor about copy-protected BluRay stuff. Nowadays even the more simple video-cameras for home use produce HD stuff (1080i/p) and the HD3200 in my laptop should be able to play that without any problem. If the driver supports it.
    i'm sure you only use your 1080p video camera to warez kino movies and upload it to pirate bay ......

this means supporting HD video withouer DRM is supporting pirates ........ and this can't be right

LOL just kidding

I have an older laptop that I'd love to throw linux on, and save my win7 license for a new machine. But it's got an mobility hd2600, and under linux its been terrible. Catalyst provides decent temps and battery life, but I've had issues with it (and now the hd2000 series isn't even properly supported anymore). The OSS driver is just a no-go. It has acceptable performance for compiz, but anything more than that it struggles. And worst of all the battery life and heat are unusable with the OSS drivers. It will overheat if you so much as look at it wrong, even with the profile forced to low. Dynpm hardly works and causes flickering, and forcing it to low profile noticeably impacts compiz performance.

I ended up just saying "screw this", and buying a cheap intel laptop to use as my linux machine.