Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: That Exciting Game Is Coming To Linux

I wonder how many people such as xpander were holding out until they guaranteed to do the port?

It was probably good sense for them to assure people; it is probably what put them over the edge.

Now I can actually start getting interested.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Now, only if it could be open source too.

I'd never pledge a donation on Kickstarter to something not open source.
    do you like an open engine or also open game content?

doom3 i for you open or closed?

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    do you like an open engine or also open game content?

doom3 i for you open or closed?
    I have the same question for uid313.

And does the open source license matter. For example, if something is open source, but the license still forbids you from distributing any modified versions, or even from distributing the unmodified source - is that still open source to you?

Double Fine have said that they will be open-sourcing the development tools for their game, and the runtime engine Moai is also open source, albeit not free. Is that open enough?

Personally I don't care much here. It's entertainment software - crafted experiences, art, call it what you want. I don't watch a movie and then expect all the 3D models in it to be made available to open source. Some folks might have other reasons for wanting it open source, like for personal education... but there are enough free/open game engines out there for that. And then there are the tinfoil hatters.
    Last edited by rustybroomhandle; 06-07-2012 at 04:20 AM.

One day I'll reach Alaska, or die trying!

Thumbs up

Best game ever! Had loads of fun playing it when I was a kid. Carmageddon was way ahead of its time when it was released back then. Looking forward to playing it on Linux.