Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Linux 3.5 Can Massively Boost AMD Radeon Graphics

Quote Originally Posted by mrhat View Post
    So please - please help make it work, before you make it work fast.
    Well said!

Other than lack of support for some of the newer generations, I am unsure what problems you are referring to. The only times I have had any real troubles with the radeon drivers were on a machine where everything did not work right - the motherboard was made wrong. Maybe I am just one of the lucky ones you mentioned, but I am not sure what specific problems you are referring to.

Thinkpad X120e AMD Fusion E-350, here. Kernel 3.3, Archlinux. Everything works, even PM, but slow ofcource.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhat View Post
    Dear Phoronix,

I have this one little thing to say here that might be a good thing to consider once in a while:

For a lot of people, FGLRX won't work. But that is fine for us, because of course we have you and your awesome open source drivers - Thank you for this!!

But:

For some people, just some, even your awesome radeon driver does not work properly - Sometimes graphics are glitchy to a point, where it becomes unsuable, sometimes it seems impossible to properly set up the driver (e.g. on sandy- and ivy-machines). And sometimes, the radeon driver does not at all seem to be able to execute proper power-saving routines. (And don't even get started about WINE and radeon.)

I myself am not to much of a hot-shot when it comes to technical things - but I do know, that for the almost 3 years since I started to use linux now, the problems with AMD-cards have always been the same: Incompatibility (with everything) and power saving (battery life and noise)

Look, I know it must be a real pain to get things done when the actual manufacturer shows little support for an open source project. BUT: In these years I have gotten to know some people, who just don't believe anymore they will EVER see reliable Linux support for their AMD hardware. It's the known "it-works-for-some-but-not-for-all" effect - Some get a more or less good 3d acceleration out of radeon - and some don't.

But instead of closing this gap, it keeps on growing ever larger! Of course, everybody is happy when radeon keeps up the pace of performance with fglrx. But this doesn't help people who don't get any acceleration at all! So, we're all happy about huge performance increases with kernel 3.5 . But some people are still completely excluded from those benefits.

People are really getting alienated - not just by you, but by the whole linux-community at large.

For example: Starting with Torvalds' statements on the new kernels, over to the Ubuntu-Team, over to the WINE-community, over to phoronix, people have been keeping on claiming: "Finally - Sandybridge and Ivybridge support is working now!" - and have thus been turning to other issues.

Truth is: For a lot of machines, it doesn't work at all.

Truth is: If you've got an AMD card in you machine and you're not one of the lucky ones where it works out-of-the-box, you're pretty much screwed. VESA for you it is.

And: You won't get any help, because the people from your OS, say, Ubuntu are saying: "What do you want? - It works - it's not our fault", while torvalds is saying "What do you want? - It works - it's not my fault", while phoronix are saying "What do you want? - It works - it's not our fault" while the guys from WINE are saying "What do you want? - It works - it's not our fault".... you get the idea, I think.

So please - please help make it work, before you make it work fast.

Thank you!
    same for me i tried to install the catalyst in kubuntu 12.04 it doesn't work and now the radeon driver also only do have 2D support 3D games do not work.
    in other words the catalyst hurt the system
    now i need to reinstall my system from ground up to fix this..
    the funny part is 6 month ago with kubuntu 10.10 i tried the same and it also breaks my system. with the difference in 10.10 the catalyst "run"
    ok maybe my "fault" but other people are also not happy.

maybe i need to install the system on a fresh harddrive to get the catalyst to run but who wants to everytime fresh install the hole system only to install a driver?

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    same for me i tried to install the catalyst in kubuntu 12.04 it doesn't work and now the radeon driver also only do have 2D support 3D games do not work.
    in other words the catalyst hurt the system
    now i need to reinstall my system from ground up to fix this..
    the funny part is 6 month ago with kubuntu 10.10 i tried the same and it also breaks my system. with the difference in 10.10 the catalyst "run"
    ok maybe my "fault" but other people are also not happy.

maybe i need to install the system on a fresh harddrive to get the catalyst to run but who wants to everytime fresh install the hole system only to install a driver?
    well i reinstalled my linux the last hour and now hon start again with the radeon driver.

Thats normal when you dont use the recommended way to install fglrx via --buildpkg option.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Thats normal when you dont use the recommended way to install fglrx via --buildpkg option.
    first of all i try to use the packages in the distro. but it don't work for me.

its just the point that i use ALL ways to bring it to work not just 1 way.

anyway i reinstalled my linux and now the oibaf-ppa works well without the new VLIW compiler.

the VLIW compiler was the cause what crashes my games.

now the radoen driver run so fast there is no need for the catalyst on my system.

same problem here, "build packaged" always FAILS. NEVER EVER worked ok.
    i have linux 4 years all the time some errors so i gave up and dont install catayst crap.

it messup more then it fix.

when is fglrx and/or radeon 7000 series video card support coming? i have to use linux 3.2 and put up bizzare screen corruption issues in the interim.

unfortunately have sandybridge P chipset so can't do onboard video with dual cables for when i boot into linux.

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    when is fglrx and/or radeon 7000 series video card support coming?
    fglrx support is here at least for half-year.