Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 72

Thread: Open-Source R500 Driver Can Compete With Legacy Catalyst

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,186

    Default Open-Source R500 Driver Can Compete With Legacy Catalyst

    Phoronix: Open-Source R500 Driver Can Compete With Legacy Catalyst

    The latest open-source Radeon Linux driver code for supporting the Radeon X1000 (R500) series hardware has basically reached a point of competitiveness with the legacy Catalyst Linux driver that once supported this hardware. In some cases the open-source Gallium3D driver is now faster than what Catalyst once ran at while in other select OpenGL workloads there is still a proprietary imbalance.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17433

  2. #2

    Default Thanks for the specificity

    There's a lot of FUD around here from some posters (we know who they are) regarding the open source driver. It's nice that you separated R500 class chip/driver with benchmarks and showed how they are competitive with fglrx.(any work that may still need to be done on the driver in various areas notwithstanding)

    I hope in the future you will do this the same way regarding the other classes of AMD chips as well. With the progression that has taken place in the OSS drivers, it's time that the wailing and teeth gnashing started cooling down; and the OSS/AMD/driver devs didn't constantly have to run around these forums and defend themselves so much anymore.
    Last edited by halfmanhalfamazing; 06-08-2012 at 08:09 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    575

    Default

    Let's start to make things clear:

    We don't need benchmarks of games that are crap under all aspects, starting from the graphics.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Let's hope Q now sees the good results of the radeon driver as well instead of focusing on the bad things that Bridgman and his team do in his opinion.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertP View Post
    Let's hope Q now sees the good results of the radeon driver as well instead of focusing on the bad things that Bridgman and his team do in his opinion.
    He already does. Bashing me is more of a hobby.

    Deep down I think he realizes he's just "shooting the messenger" but even so it *is* a time-honored tradition.
    Last edited by bridgman; 06-08-2012 at 08:30 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Looks nice (does this mean they are now going to focus on just bug fixing and r600?), but what about power managment, and 2d acceleration? those things are a must for claiming they can compete.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    He already does. Bashing me is more of a hobby.

    Deep down I think he realizes he's just "shooting the messenger" but even so it *is* a time-honored tradition.
    hobby anyway.

    and "shooting the messenger" you don't believe that the investment in opensource drivers need to fit into the market-share footprint ?

    i think you really believe this monopole protection stuff.

    and "shooting the messenger" were is the message in your windows vista computer and your DRM(the evil copyprotection one) use in your blueray player ?

    I think you really believe in using windows vista and blue-ray copy-protection.

    the only true "shooting the messenger" i dit to you was the : Linux is counted as a Warez edition of windows tropic because this nearly cause a Hearth attack to me....

    and you still believe in the opensource drivers need to fit into the market-share footprint even if linux is counted as a warez version of "Windows"

    in other words your company protect the monopole from microsoft up to 100% only because : "opensource drivers need to fit into the market-share footprint"

    and your company do not understand the word: "Investment" (yes yes i know they believe they already invest money but there believes are just based on faked market share numbers)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    irrelevent blather about what OS our admin systems use and the fact that I have a BluRay player in my home system
    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    the only true "shooting the messenger" i dit to you was the : Linux is counted as a Warez edition of windows tropic because this nearly cause a Hearth attack to me....
    Welcome to the real world. I'm telling you what decision makers are being told (at all HW vendors, not just AMD), and I'm telling you how that can be changed (get the message back through system and board vendors, make a credible case to *them* that improving Linux support will let them be more successful).

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    and you still believe in the opensource drivers need to fit into the market-share footprint even if linux is counted as a warez version of "Windows" in other words your company protect the monopole from microsoft up to 100% only because : "opensource drivers need to fit into the market-share footprint"

    and your company do not understand the word: "Investment" (yes yes i know they believe they already invest money but there believes are just based on faked market share numbers)
    Wrong on all counts, but I think you know that (or you're not as smart as I think you are).

    I have said multiple times that our spending on Linux is proportionally quite a bit larger than the apparent market share (2x a couple of years ago, probably higher now). It's great for you to say "well those market share numbers are faked", but if major system and board builders are saying one thing and some guy named Qaridarium on Phoronix is saying something else then at best you're going to get a decision that "splits the difference". I know you hold me personally responsible for everything we are told by our major customers, but I can't help you with that.

    The other point you are missing over and over again is that our proportional spend on Linux is probably higher than that of our major competitors already, and is comparable at the very least. We do spend significant $$ in areas that our major customers don't care about because we know that end users *do* care, and that amount is increasing every year.

    I know it's attractive to pick on me because I try to actually discuss the underlying issues with you, and it's nice to imagine that disagreeing with the information I pass on will somehow magically change it back at the source, but I do think that falls into the category of "shooting the messenger" and does no good for anyone other than maybe giving you a big grin as you hit "Submit Reply".
    Last edited by bridgman; 06-08-2012 at 09:57 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Welcome to the real world. I'm telling you what decision makers are being told (at all HW vendors, not just AMD), and I'm telling you how that can be changed (get the message back through system and board vendors, make a credible case to *them* that improving Linux support will let them be more successful).

    Wrong on all counts, but I think you know that (or you're not as smart as I think you are).

    I have said multiple times that our spending on Linux is proportionally quite a bit larger than the apparent market share (2x a couple of years ago, probably higher now). It's great for you to say "well those market share numbers are faked", but if major system and board builders are saying one thing and some guy named Qaridarium on Phoronix is saying something else then at best you're going to get a decision that "splits the difference". I know you hold me personally responsible for everything we are told by our major customers, but I can't help you with that.

    The other point you are missing over and over again is that our proportional spend on Linux is probably higher than that of our major competitors already, and is comparable at the very least. We do spend significant $$ in areas that our major customers don't care about because we know that end users *do* care, and that amount is increasing every year.

    I know it's attractive to pick on me because I try to actually discuss the underlying issues with you, and it's nice to imagine that disagreeing with the information I pass on will somehow magically change it back at the source, but I do think that falls into the category of "shooting the messenger" and does no good for anyone other than maybe giving you a big grin as you hit "Submit Reply".
    first of all this means you admit that I'm right on all points where you have no replies ? (Windows vista usage and Blue-ray)

    and you stil claim that AMD is not directly responsible for the Selling of APU-GPUs like the hd6550D? (this is a rhetorical question because i know you know it)
    And YOU and AMD still dit not noticed that the opensource performance in APU-GPUs like the hd6550D do have the worst opensource driver performance and this is directly responsible for the driver investment policy in your company?
    you stil claim that the OEM is responsible but there is no OEM for products like : "AMD A-Series A8-3870K Black Edition, 4x 3.00GHz, boxed (AD3870WNGXBOX)"
    in my point of view the "system and board vendors/OEM" arguments are just apologies and excuses because even if amd is directly responsible (AD3870WNGXBOX) for example it changes nothing there is no different end-user support compared to the "OEM" products
    and this prove there is no meaning in your "system and board vendors/OEM" talk and because of this its pointless to talk to ""system and board vendors/OEM"" because they do not write the drivers at all and its not there job at all!

    "It's great for you to say "well those market share numbers are faked", but if major system and board builders are saying one thing and some guy named Qaridarium on Phoronix is saying something else then at best you're going to get a decision that "splits the difference"."

    you use The Art of Being Right 38. Ad personam because my personality "Qaridarium" is not a part of the Tropic and attacking my authority in this question is not a argument it is just the use of The Art of Being Right 38. Ad personam.

    and you really think you can win an argument on me by attacking my authority ?

    if the market-share numbers are faked then your hole argumentation are meaning less and this is not a question about my authority this is a question about "Truth"

    "The other point you are missing over and over again is that our proportional spend on Linux is probably higher than that of our major competitors already, and is comparable at the very least."

    is is also only "Art of Being Right " because you create a wrong image of myself and then you do arguments against the wrong image and not my real personality. and i can prove this easy because i already buyed a hd3870,hd4650,hd4670,hd4770 to admit the work of AMD and honor that they are spending more money on opensource than "Nvidia" i dit not buy nvidia products for over 7years or something like this

    but the real question is what is your secret objective in using "Art of Being Right " against me ?

    maybe you really think that the people here do not realize this ?

    "We do spend significant $$ in areas that our major customers don't care about because we know that end users *do* care, and that amount is increasing every year. "

    this just Prove me RIGHT! AMD also think that arguing on "system and board vendors/OEM" are just apologies and excuses and its meaningless because only the end-users matters because THEY buy the hardware and not the "system and board vendors/OEM" companys.

    if i'm wrong at this point amd would never do this: "spend significant $$ in areas that our major customers don't care about because we know that end users *do* care, and that amount is increasing every year"

    " I know you hold me personally responsible for everything we are told by our major customers, but I can't help you with that."

    no you are not personally responsible for the "linux=unlawful windows copy" tropic.
    but its still not nice telling linux users this.

    "I know it's attractive to pick on me because I try to actually discuss the underlying issues with you, and it's nice to imagine that disagreeing with the information I pass on will somehow magically change it back at the source, but I do think that falls into the category of "shooting the messenger" and does no good for anyone other than maybe giving you a big grin as you hit "Submit Reply"."

    what's your point when you point the market share is questionable? read your message again with that fixed: "I have said multiple times that our spending on Linux is proportionally quite a bit larger than the apparent (questionable?)market share(questionable?) (2x a couple of years ago, probably higher now)."

    how do you know what you don't know because its questionable? and its also questionable what is counted as a "Linux" because you prefer to not count "Andorid" as a linux and there are many more examples for that last month i helped a anti-linux-customer from me with a TV-receiver and the handbook of the tv-receiver proved that its a Linux on the box because of this THIS MAN IS USING LINUX in his living room/lounge but his PC do have XP because of his this man is counted as a WINDOWS customer and not a linux customer? this is more than stupid to count like this!

    because of this if you calculate for REAL and not in scheming/hanky-panky style your Linux market share is much higher than YOUR numbers!

    the linux market share is in fact questionable and this makes your words questionable because you claim that your company spend 2x more money on a questionable market share number and so one and so one.

    "Wrong on all counts, but I think you know that (or you're not as smart as I think you are). "

    maybe i think to complex to describe it with words like "right" and "wrong"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    418

    Default

    bridgeman is my hero

    I stillcan't belive people bashing AMD for the huge amounts of effort they put in. Sure, more is always better and I'm sure peopl ealways argue there's more needed. All that said and done, it's remarkable how much AMD _does_ do. Remember, AMD is also the saller 'underdog'. It doesn't have the intel budgets for things. It is still for lack of better word, struggling to keepalive.

    So Bridgeman, the messenger, is my hero.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •