Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: A New Post From Valve; More Linux Love Needed

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,440

    Default

    How about you haters shut up and read before you whine:

    http://www.valvesoftware.com/jobs/job_postings.html

    There are job postings requesting linux. I'm not sure how much of it is specific toward gaming, but just by clicking on random links I found Linux as part of the requirements. Stop bitching at Michael for doing his job.

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    How about you haters shut up and read before you whine:
    How about you jew hater shut up yourself?


    http://www.valvesoftware.com/jobs/job_postings.html

    There are job postings requesting linux. I'm not sure how much of it is specific toward gaming, but just by clicking on random links I found Linux as part of the requirements.
    That means jack shit. Job postings with Linux as part of the requirement have been on Valve's site for years.

    Stop bitching at Michael for doing his job.
    If part of his job is using deceptive headlines to generate traffic, I will call him out for that.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,599

    Default

    What exactly are they looking for? WTF is a "Linux developer"?

    I don't even see a job posting.

    Not that I could re-locate anyway so I'm not looking to pursue it; it's just that the criteria don't make a lot of sense to me.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    How about you jew hater shut up yourself?
    Jew hater? Really? What makes you conclude I'm a Jew hater? Your username suits you well.

    That means jack shit. Job postings with Linux as part of the requirement have been on Valve's site for years.
    That doesn't change the fact that Michael isn't making stuff up, it just means this article is extremely overdue.

    If part of his job is using deceptive headlines to generate traffic, I will call him out for that.
    If that's what you truly believe his job is then why are you here? You're promoting his cause. If you're using an ad-blocker then why do you care at all? You and others similar to you should know well ahead of time what you're about to read, yet you read it anyway and make the same boring rant.


    I really don't understand people like you who complain about people who are somehow selling themselves out to bigger companies when first of all, they're blatantly not, and secondly even if they were, does it really matter if that means they can continue to supply content to you for free? The same thing happens on youtube all the time - a popular channel promotes a product or company completely on their own because they sincerely like the results of whatever that may be, and people whine that these people are sell-outs. I just simply don't see why it matters if you're still getting the same content you always used to.


    On another note, yes, Michael is focusing on Valve a lot. So much to the point where it might seem like Valve has offered him something. However, y'know what else Michael focuses on a lot? Beer. Beer is completely irrelevant to most of the phoronix readers, but he brings it up anyway. He doesn't focus on just 1 beer either, just beer in general. I assume by now he's aware that him bringing up beer does annoy some people (personally I don't really care) but that doesn't stop him. He said he has a passion for beer before. He likely isn't paid to sponsor products to a website of people who don't give a crap. Since he brings up Valve a lot less (while Valve is a much more relevant and interesting topic), it should be easy to assume that he likely isn't paid by them either. I don't see a problem with having a little bias here and there, especially when 99% of all articles on this website are done by 1 guy.

    Valve has almost single-handedly changed the gaming market. They're one of the first highly influential software companies to distinctly pay attention to linux, and they won't care anymore if they realize one of linux's most heard spokespeople (Michael) is not being listened to by his readers anymore.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    If that's what you truly believe his job is then why are you here? You're promoting his cause. If you're using an ad-blocker then why do you care at all? You and others similar to you should know well ahead of time what you're about to read, yet you read it anyway and make the same boring rant.
    So basically, you come up with the same old fascist propaganda formula: those who don't like what we do should go somewhere else (or preferably die). It's only mentally infantile people who can't deal with criticism in a mature way.

    People who don't like certain things about a place or the place at all and do stay and voice their criticism (in a polite manner, of course) are actually the ones most valuable to that place. And there's a lot to criticise about Phoronix. As said before, you can't really call the information spread by this site outright lies because none of it was ever completely proven to be wrong (so far as I know), but the opposite is just as true.

    In addition, the tone this site has taken in the last few years has really become horrible. Too many news articles are formulated in a way to make you click on the title and read more (read: generate more money so the Phoronix staff can drink beer and fly to another city every two weeks). Usually you don't find anything valuable and feel kind of cheated by the site. Example:

    "Chris Mason Of Btrfs Is Leaving Oracle:
    Chris Mason, the lead developer of the Btrfs file-system, is parting ways with Oracle."

    First, the title and subtitle say _exactly_ the same thing. There's no new information in the subtitle other than that Mason is the lead developer of the Btrfs filesystem, which is something probably every reader on this site knows. But the subtitle doesn't answer two very important questions which I'm sure sprang to the mind of anyone who read the title: 1. "Why?" and 2. "What will become of btrfs?"

    Instead of answering those in subtitle and allowing people not interested in the details skim forth to the next news (something I would expect of every worthwhile news site), Phoronix is withholding that info and forcing you to actually read the article. Fair enough. You open up the article, expecting to see great drama, and guess what? He just found a better job, and he'll continue to take care of btrfs. So actually nothing to report on, only blew completely out of proportion by Phoronix.

    That's what I mean. It's really pity to see one of the fewer comprehensive Linux news site go down the drain the way it is. I find myself visiting it less and less and too often not even thinking it worth my while to write something in the forum.

    Oh, and I haven't even mentioned the sell out to iEvil and Microsoft. XD

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by susikala View Post
    So basically, you come up with the same old fascist propaganda formula: those who don't like what we do should go somewhere else (or preferably die). It's only mentally infantile people who can't deal with criticism in a mature way.
    Its 1 guy writing these articles whose main income (AFAIK) seems to be advertisements and premium members... when you consider that, there's nothing fascist about telling someone to go to a different news source that may have a whole team of people with a fixed income.

    People who don't like certain things about a place or the place at all and do stay and voice their criticism (in a polite manner, of course) are actually the ones most valuable to that place. And there's a lot to criticise about Phoronix. As said before, you can't really call the information spread by this site outright lies because none of it was ever completely proven to be wrong (so far as I know), but the opposite is just as true.
    I completely agree, but it doesn't apply to everything. If you're paying for a service, it ought to be the way you want it to be. If you pay $500 to stay at a hotel and the decor was racist or potentially hazardous, then it is reasonable, justifiable, and even necessary to complain. If you just simply don't like their decor because it doesn't suit your taste, then go somewhere else - nobody is forcing you to go there. An organization should not have to change everything because a couple people don't prefer what they do. There's a line between righteously complaining and complaining because you feel entitled to. Freedom of speech gives you the entitlement to publish things as you see fit, and it also means it gives others the right to complain. However, neither the publishing nor the complaining is always considered acceptable.

    So with phoronix, unless you are a premium member or unless Michael said something deliberately offensive, you are free to complain but you are not obligated to see changes. This is a technically a free-to-view personal website. That being said, if you don't like it, go somewhere else. This isn't being fascist, its being realistic.

    In addition, the tone this site has taken in the last few years has really become horrible. Too many news articles are formulated in a way to make you click on the title and read more (read: generate more money so the Phoronix staff can drink beer and fly to another city every two weeks). Usually you don't find anything valuable and feel kind of cheated by the site.
    I can't say I disagree with that, but again, its a personal website and Michael keeps it running using advertisements. If the ads load because of a new article, then he gets a little bit extra to keep it going without paying out of his pocket. I too would prefer more fruitful posts but since I'm not paying anything and I'm likely bored when viewing the website, I don't really care.

    First, the title and subtitle say _exactly_ the same thing. There's no new information in the subtitle other than that Mason is the lead developer of the Btrfs filesystem, which is something probably every reader on this site knows. But the subtitle doesn't answer two very important questions which I'm sure sprang to the mind of anyone who read the title: 1. "Why?" and 2. "What will become of btrfs?"
    Those are valid points. Note that there isn't always an answer for #2, but #1 should always be there.

    That's what I mean. It's really pity to see one of the fewer comprehensive Linux news site go down the drain the way it is. I find myself visiting it less and less and too often not even thinking it worth my while to write something in the forum.

    Oh, and I haven't even mentioned the sell out to iEvil and Microsoft. XD
    I myself wouldn't be opposed to going to other news sources, but I like the benchmarking, I personally prefer the non-professional tone, and most other open-source news sources I've encountered just don't have that many articles, or the articles themselves are boring.

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Its 1 guy writing these articles whose main income (AFAIK) seems to be advertisements and premium members...
    That is correct.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    111

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    It's too early for Valve to do any announcment. There are no reasons to also do it. They'll do it when they feel they are ready enough. Expect something like the end of this year or Q1 2013 (I suppose).
    Chronological time or valve time?

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    Fuck off douchebag.
    Some people are just incapable of handling anonymity maturely.

    Since this is his website, that's a lot like walking into someone elses home and telling them to fuck off.

    You should be the one leaving if you don't like what he's saying.

  10. #20

    Default

    Hey Michael, I sent you an e-mail regarding Valve's Linux ports. I doubt that I'd be doing a whole lot of work with the Linux graphics (at least not the really low level stuff), but I'd certainly be of use with the other aspects of the port, especially the audio portions. Let me know if I need to get in touch with someone in particular at Valve.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •