Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are The Biggest Problems With Linux?

Hybrid View

Default What Are The Biggest Problems With Linux?

Phoronix: What Are The Biggest Problems With Linux?

If you were asked what are the biggest problems with Linux, what would that be?..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTExNzQ

This: Why Linux is not (yet) Ready for the Desktop (a.k.a. Linux problems), 2012 edition

There's one problem no amount of money can solve: for most Open Source developers Linux is a playground, a thing they don't care beyond their aspirations, thus we have constantly broken features and API breakage every odd moon cycle. With such an attitude there's no way Linux will ever attract a big number of serious ISVs. Of course, people will be quick to point that already available Open Source software is enough for everyone - but that's a serious myopia. No, it's not enough, very very far from that.
    Last edited by birdie; 06-10-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by birdie View Post
    This: Why Linux is not (yet) Ready for the Desktop (a.k.a. Linux problems), 2012 edition

There's one problem no amount of money can solve: for most Open Source developers Linux is a playground, a thing they don't care beyond their aspirations, thus we have constantly broken features and API breakage every odd moon cycle. With such an attitude there's no way Linux will ever attract a big number of serious ISVs. Of course, people will be quick to point that already available Open Source software is enough for everyone - but that's a serious myopia. No, it's not enough, very very far from that.
    most of the points in this article are because gnu/linux has a small market share :-P (no good consumer gfx-driver support, adobe flash, ...)
    and why is it gnu/linux fault that there are patented technologies they cant implement?
    also fontrendering? elementary os for example has much nicer look of the fonts than windows :-P

yes there are some problems, but they are either being worked on (wayland as replacement for xorg) or are not the fault of the developers (microsoft doesnt release a kick ass photo editing programm either but on foss-plattforms have to? :-P)

Quote Originally Posted by EvilTwin View Post
    most of the points in this article are because gnu/linux has a small market share :-P (no good consumer gfx-driver support, adobe flash, ...)
    and why is it gnu/linux fault that there are patented technologies they cant implement?
    also fontrendering? elementary os for example has much nicer look of the fonts than windows :-P

yes there are some problems, but they are either being worked on (wayland as replacement for xorg) or are not the fault of the developers (microsoft doesnt release a kick ass photo editing programm either but on foss-plattforms have to? :-P)
    The mentioned problems are getting fixed all the time the problem is that I see no end in sight. Besides, if something doesn't work in Linux, people won't f*cking care whose fault it is, "It works in Windows/MacOS/whatever - Linux sucks", and they are right.

Quote Originally Posted by birdie View Post
    The mentioned problems are getting fixed all the time the problem is that I see no end in sight. Besides, if something doesn't work in Linux, people won't f*cking care whose fault it is, "It works in Windows/MacOS/whatever - Linux sucks", and they are right.
    When something doesn't work on OS X or Windows people say they sicks and they're right. If you have nothing smart to say just don't say stupid things. Usually third party members drivers were causing trouble, but it's much better now, but not perfect yet.

Default Re

Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    When something doesn't work on OS X or Windows people say they sicks and they're right. If you have nothing smart to say just don't say stupid things. Usually third party members drivers were causing trouble, but it's much better now, but not perfect yet.
    In Windows you have a lot of crashes too, they just don't ask you to report them and they put it in a way that won't scare the user. In Windows XP they were asking you to send or not to send the problem, in Windows 7 they just do it automatically. When a crash happens in Windows 7 it says "Windows is checking for a solution to the problem...", not like in Linux "Segmentation Fault: Fatal error...".
    That makes the overall experience of the user more pleasing, he doesn't think that the OS has crashes because it doesn't tell him.

This is amazing. Thank you for this link, it'll save me a lot of time explaining to people why we don't waste time porting games to Linux.

There's one problem no amount of money can solve: for most Open Source developers Linux is a playground, a thing they don't care beyond their aspirations, thus we have constantly broken features and API breakage every odd moon cycle.
    There's that, plus the complete lack of real QA. The Microsoft Azure QA team alone is larger than the entire developer and tester pool of X.org, Mesa, GTK, GNOME, and the DRI/DRM bits of the kernel. You would crap yourself if you had any idea of the size of the team responsible for just DirectX.

FOSS, for all the talk about it being open to anyone and having "millions of eyeballs," simply does not have a very large developer pool, and has an even smaller "support staff" pool. Real professionals with actual skill/talent are doing their work for pay. The good ones are doing it for a lot of pay. They do not have free time after working 40-60 hours/week to hack on a hobbyist OS or software, and even if they did they probably want to spend their non-working hours doing something other than slaving away on more software. Take that fact along with the fact that the largest FOSS companies have teeny tiny profits compared to even the run of the mill proprietary software companies (Red Hat's recent $1b _gross revenue_ is about the same as the _net profit_ of some of the smaller well-known software companies), and you have the cause for the practically barren developer pool on the important FOSS projects, and the reason why the folks working on those projects keep complaining about being so seriously under-manned.

This doesn't help the student that this article was for, but the sad fact is that there is no real help. One student working to better Linux is not what Linux needs. An army of professionals being backed by a multi-billion-dollar software empire is what Linux needs. Only, no multi-billion-dollar Linux empire is ever going to exist (ignoring future inflation) because there's no way to make that kind of money on software that nobody outside of a few large server farm operators have any reasons to pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by elanthis View Post
    This is amazing. Thank you for this link, it'll save me a lot of time explaining to people why we don't waste time porting games to Linux.
    You could easily write a list of horror point in Windows too. Simply the user experience in Linux is far from horror. It usually is a story of empowerment, freedom, and functionality.

There's that, plus the complete lack of real QA. The Microsoft Azure QA team alone is larger than the entire developer and tester pool of X.org, Mesa, GTK, GNOME, and the DRI/DRM bits of the kernel. You would crap yourself if you had any idea of the size of the team responsible for just DirectX.
    So what. Azure is a lame project anyway. Direct X is justified and I give it credit, but it's come from Microsoft's deviant manipulation of hardware makers. Just because Direct X is nice doesn't make me want to use Windows. Far from it.

Linux is the future. I can't say that about Microsoft. Microsoft is as good as its cunning works and as time goes I see more leaving Windows.

This doesn't help the student that this article was for, but the sad fact is that there is no real help. One student working to better Linux is not what Linux needs. An army of professionals being backed by a multi-billion-dollar software empire is what Linux needs. Only, no multi-billion-dollar Linux empire is ever going to exist (ignoring future inflation) because there's no way to make that kind of money on software that nobody outside of a few large server farm operators have any reasons to pay for.
    That could be one avenue. I agree.

The simple fact is we are going into a world of austerity. Many businesses will fail. Many may start. Many people have habits that are linked to Microsoft software, a culture to stay with MS, but this is crumbling. More and more people don't need to use Excel, nor AutoCad, nor Outlook, or Adobe. The web is also changing. Open source and free projects are gaining ground. It's also upto user to push businesses to accept more then the old titles. Like if a Government department wants MS file types then demand they support open source.

Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    You could easily write a list of horror point in Windows too.
    ... can you?

Simply the user experience in Linux is far from horror. It usually is a story of empowerment, freedom, and functionality.
    The kind of empowerment that users actually want is the kind that doesn't require them to spend months mastering being a Linux sysadmin and instead spending their free time doing things they actually care about.

Sure, you (and me and everyone else on Phoronix) are massive dorks who actually do enjoy tinkering around with OSes. The other 99% of people think that just about anything _other_ than tinkering with OSes is fun.

So what. Azure is 7 a lame project anyway.
    The "unsexiness" of that project is exactly the point I was trying to make. Cool projects in Linux should -- according to the rhetoric of FOSS -- be attracting talented users in droves, since after all the projects aren't "limited" by funding or schedules or management and anyone can contribute. Instead, Linux projects get tiny handfuls of devs at best and many of those potential developers are going to work for a company on a project like Azure because that company can actually pay them what they're worth.

Direct X is justified and I give it credit, but it's come from Microsoft's deviant manipulation of hardware makers.
    Yeah... Microsoft doesn't work the way the average Linux hipster thinks it does (yes, I too once wrote things like "M$" thinking I was so clever and smarter than the "Windoze" sheeple). In any case, regular users don't make OS choices based on hate, and they sure as hell don't give a crap if a company is or is not manipulating hardware manufacturers. If things worked the way you think they do, Microsoft would have died out in 1980's.

Microsoft is as good as its cunning works and as time goes I see more leaving Windows.
    The actual stats show that the only people leaving Windows are the people going to Macs. Of course, they also show that a lot of the hardcore Linux users of 1990's and early 2000's also moved to Macs. Linux was at 1% in 1999. It's at 1% now. Projecting historical evidence indicates that it'll still be at 1% in 2025.

And no, Android doesn't count. Android is Linux the same way that the Sega Saturn was Windows.

Like if a Government department wants MS file types then demand they support open source.
    I actually worked for a very large government installation for years, doing in-house software development and some light sysadmin work on the Linux server farm. This was back in my Linux fanboy days. It is actually one of the larger catalysts that caused me to turn from a "Linux is the future" proponent like yourself into a "Linux is a nice Web server OS, but thank God there's someone I can give money to in exchange for a less frustrating desktop experience" believer.

Government jobs will best illustrate for you just how great Windows is for idiots who can't tell their assholes from floppy drives and how awful Linux is for "idiots" who can't figure out how to read unified diff files generated by dpkg when foobar-1.7.2b changes config file compatibility with foobar-1.7.2a.

The stable Linux distro argument. Talking about Debian not Ubuntu.

A lot of work goes into keeping Debian stable, stable but it gets overlooked because it lacks the new features out there.

"A couple of years wait for a new release is just too long".

Then these same people go back to Windows wondering why they even bothered with Linux and resume again the few years wait between releases.

Some of the more popular applications can be kept more recent by the use of backports and deb-multimedia and the like if you don't want to get into mixing with testing and/or unstable.