Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gallium3D R600 Shader Variant Caching

Default Gallium3D R600 Shader Variant Caching

Phoronix: Gallium3D R600 Shader Variant Caching

The latest R600g driver improvement this weekend is for shader variant caching rather than rebuilding the shaders each time...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTExNzE

now we do have speed but we need stability !!!!

last time i checked the new R600-VLIW-shader compiler my games crash all the time.

I'm sorry, but we don't have speed yet.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Quote Originally Posted by darkbasic View Post
    I'm sorry, but we don't have speed yet.
    what is your definition of speed? my definition is more than 60fps is useless

its simple if you get more than 30fps your game run well if you get 60fps (120fps on stereoscopic-view) the game runs "very good"

he write a patch what improve the speed from 20fps to 44fps means now the game "RUN" well not very good but well.

that was a corner case scenario. i think it just helps speed up the recompiling of shaders, but many applications can go their entire existance without recompiling shaders.

we have some speed, just not really enough yet. many cases have pretty good speed and reliability but there are still too many cases where the open drivers are missing someithing and slowing down. dont forget we dont exactly have all that great of a selection of programs to test the drivers with yet. look how micheal basicaly runs 40 quake 3 tests for his benchmarks.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    what is your definition of speed? my definition is more than 60fps is useless

its simple if you get more than 30fps your game run well if you get 60fps (120fps on stereoscopic-view) the game runs "very good"

he write a patch what improve the speed from 20fps to 44fps means now the game "RUN" well not very good but well.
    Not all monitors are 60Hz. Many are more than that (I have a 17" CRT that does 1600x1200 at 100Hz or something).

I don't know a lot about gfx driver internals, but if r600g benefits from shader caching, wouldn't other drivers benefit too? Could this be added to gallium3d, so that others (r300g, nouveau) can also use it?

Quote Originally Posted by [Knuckles] View Post
    Not all monitors are 60Hz. Many are more than that (I have a 17" CRT that does 1600x1200 at 100Hz or something).
    then 100fps is your dream number. but you don't need 400fps ..........

if the radeon hit 100fps and the catalyst 500fps who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by [Knuckles] View Post
    I don't know a lot about gfx driver internals, but if r600g benefits from shader caching, wouldn't other drivers benefit too? Could this be added to gallium3d, so that others (r300g, nouveau) can also use it?
    other hardware don't need shader compilers so much because VLIW is a architecture who needs compiler optimizations over all.

then 100fps is your dream number. but you don't need 400fps ..........

if the radeon hit 100fps and the catalyst 500fps who cares?
    Of course you care, because on more complex scene catalysts hits let's say 50 fps. And 10 fps with r600g is unplayable...

Quote Originally Posted by Erbureth View Post
    Of course you care, because on more complex scene catalysts hits let's say 50 fps. And 10 fps with r600g is unplayable...
    today games do not have "more complex" scenes because you always benchmark with the most complex scene.

you mean "Future" games can have more complex scenes.

sure for "Future" games this care but not for today games.

today games do not have "more complex" scenes because you always benchmark with the most complex scene.

you mean "Future" games can have more complex scenes.

sure for "Future" games this care but not for today games.
    Even today's games have such complex scenes. (eg. Portal is still borderline playable on minimal settings on my rv620)