Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skype 4.0 For Linux Officially Released

Hybrid View

Default Skype 4.0 For Linux Officially Released

Phoronix: Skype 4.0 For Linux Officially Released

Skype 4.0 has been officially released for Linux today after being under "development" for far too long. This first major update in years for the Skype Linux client is coming one year after Microsoft acquired Skype...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTExOTk

Default 64 bit

Strange, for fedora there is only a 32 bit package while there is a 32 and 64 bit package for Debian & Ubuntu...

the 64bit packages are 32bit binarys with multilib dependencies.

Quote Originally Posted by wpoely86 View Post
    Strange, for fedora there is only a 32 bit package while there is a 32 and 64 bit package for Debian & Ubuntu...
    well this not a native executable but a wine "optimized" .exe from windows. 32 or 64 you need multiarch support cuz is a 32bits .exe inside

one has to wonder if it has anything to do with this:

http://blogs.skype.com/en/2012/06/sk...rce=feedburner

Quote Originally Posted by Xilanaz View Post

"So, you should think of Conversation Ads as a way for Skype to generate fun interactivity between your circle of friends and family and the brands you care about. Ultimately, we believe this will help make Skype a more engaging and useful place to have your conversations each and every day." ... yeah, right.

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    "So, you should think of Conversation Ads as a way for Skype to generate fun interactivity between your circle of friends and family and the brands you care about. Ultimately, we believe this will help make Skype a more engaging and useful place to have your conversations each and every day." ... yeah, right.
    yeah loud ads in my face as well as the person I'm talking to, real smart. You need to buy Skype credits if you don't want ads. Nope I'll stick with the old client till it no longer works.

I have started drifting away from using Skype. I often get a better result with Google chat, plus it so much lighter to run on my phone then Skype, witch was always a hazel.

If this is just a Windows app compiled with Wine then I am sourly disappointed that it's version 4.0 and not 5.9.0.123 like the Windows version. 4.0 on Windows is 3-4 years old (depending on the point release).

Quote Originally Posted by Xilanaz View Post

That sucks

And don't forget the new feature : "Lawful interception" backdoor

I hope the linux version will still avoid all the ads and the shitty UI they have on Windows...
    Multiples skype instances is also a cool linux exclusive feature.
    Last edited by karasu; 06-14-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    well this not a native executable but a wine "optimized" .exe from windows. 32 or 64 you need multiarch support cuz is a 32bits .exe inside
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll stick with the old version.

I prefer an ad-free native binary over a half-assed emulated one, which is probably full of ads. Somehow I already expected MS only being able to write Windows software.