Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Humble Indie Bundle V Generates Five Million USD

Quote Originally Posted by Sverro2 View Post
    Why? Are you planning to fix bugs etc? There is no DRM in the bundle games... I just don't understand. (yes I know what Richard told us)
    No, I don't plan to fix any bugs.
    But money spent on proprietary software is wasted.
    Why would I want to spend money on proprietary software and reward proprietary software developers when I can spend money on open source software that contributes back to the community and rewards the community.

I think that if I spend money on proprietary software, I don't get anything back. I could just as easily pirate that shit if I wanted it.
    When contributing to open source software, I feel like if I am getting something back. Because the code is not owned by someone, its giving to the community and my donations help further development.

Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    5 million $ is more than enough to pack a AAA game.
    Way out. You're looking at least $25m, GTA 4 cost a $100m.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    I could just as easily pirate that shit if I wanted it.
    Piracy of proprietary software is just as reprehensible as GPL violation.

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    Piracy of proprietary software is just as reprehensible as GPL violation.
    No its completely cool. You see only by pirating software will people turn to the glory of free RMS software. I mean it worked for pc gamers who pirated games! Now we have no DRM and developers now only speak well of it. /sarcasm

Do you even have a clue what a real amateurish game means?

Hint: award-winning lower-budget games are not amateurish. Badly made games of *any* budget are amateurish.

And Psychonauts had a budget of $13 million in 2005 dollars, which is quite comfortably into AAA territory, certainly for Majesco who originally funded it.
    I said amateurish and average, not just amateurish. So stop using selective quotation.
    If you still don't get it - I'll tell you again but in other words - yes AAA is a subjective term just like beauty since there's no hardcoded properties defining it. I played the first several bundles and all games where either downright amateurish or average games. The games that the bundle ships now are better but to me they don't compare to Modern Warfare 3 class of games, hence they're, as I said, "average" and amateurish, not AAA

And don't give me 2005 or so games for obvious reasons. What was 7 years ago AAA, now is obviously not AAA any longer since the standards for AAA rise as time goes by.
    Last edited by mark45; 06-15-2012 at 09:18 AM.

they don't compare to Modern Warfare 3 class of games, hence they're "average" not AAA.
    So you rate a game's quality on budget.

tl;dr: you're a moron

So you rate a game's quality on budget.

tl;dr: you're a moron
    Where did I say budget? So who's the moron here? It's a nice try giving me 2005 game figures and then calling names.

Where did I say budget? So who's the moron here?
    That's what AAA is.

A budget issue.

Publishers decide how much money to spend on a game's development and marketing, and the ones that get the lion's share are "AAA" titles.

It's not a measure of whether a game is any good or not, only the budget spent by the publisher.

Take a recent example - Homefront was an AAA title for THQ. They spent millions on it. Millions. It rated 70% from Metacritic, because it wasn't very good.

The film version of the term is "Blockbuster" - it doesn't mean it's good, it means it's expensive. Take the Transformers movies as an example - they're shit, but they're expensive. They're "blockbusters" - and in game terms, they're AAA.

Let's quote a developer who gets to play with AAA budgets in excess of $20m, Alex Hutchinson from Ubisoft Montreal:

"We think about [this push] as kind of cancerous growth," .... "I think that will leave the AAA blockbusters as nothing more than the last of the dinosaurs."... "In my mind, video games need to have the goal of educating people, entertaining people, or at least being artistic," ... "If you're not pushing any of these things...then I think we're in for a rough patch."
    You're obsessed with using a term you don't understand as a badge of quality, when it's not - and the success of indie games thanks to download platforms like XBLA, Steam and PSN, goes to show the total irrelevance of AAA as a concept to modern gamers.

Grand Theft Auto 4 isn't 1,000 times better than World of Goo, despite having 1,000 times more money spent on it.

That's what AAA is.
    bla bla bla

Quality rings a bell? Hello? I didn't play Left 4 Dead because it had a big budget, but because it's sophisticated and cool, that's what AAA games mean. I haven't seen such games on Humble Bundle.

Quality rings a bell? Hello? I didn't play Left 4 Dead because it had a big budget, but because it's sophisticated and cool, that's what AAA games mean. I haven't seen such games on Humble Bundle.
    Then state what you mean by AAA title. As far as I read your posting, it is like @directhex interpreted. And I agree with @directhex. The quality of games doesn't always depend on how much money you put to produce that game.
    Last edited by t.s.; 06-15-2012 at 11:10 AM.