Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fedora 7 fglrx

I have x86_64 systems with 2.6.19 kernel working with fglrx.

Next week when F7T1 is out, I intend on installing it right away and will begin working on the new packaging scripts.

Sounds good to me

Happen to have any suggestion as to what i might try to do to nail down the freeze and maybe even eliminate it?
    For what it's worth, this box is an all standard Acer Aspire T180-UB7E Desktop PC:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+,
    ATI Radeon X1550 512 MB HyperMemory (whatever HyperMemory is..),
    nVidia Corporation MCP61 Chipset,
    1 GB DDR-II-Ram ),

running all FC6-latest by now. I don't consider the few installed fc7-packages i still have do have any impact:

[theseer@warp ~]$ rpm -qa | grep fc7
    libdhcp4client-3.0.5-8.fc7
    libdhcp6client-0.10-35.fc7
    devhelp-0.12-10.fc7
    firefox-2.0.0.1-2.fc7
    libdhcp-1.17-2.fc7
    firefox-devel-2.0.0.1-2.fc7
    devhelp-0.12-10.fc7
    yelp-2.16.2-2.fc7
    firefox-2.0.0.1-2.fc7

Maybe of interesst, the lspci info for the ati parts is basically "unkown device":

[root@warp ~]# lspci | grep ATI
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 7187
    02:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 71a7

As stated before, having all the "fixes" applies from other threads in this forum (e.g. settings various symlinks) and using 2.6.19-1.2895.fc6, the driver compiles just fine - just using it freezes the system whenever the desktop tries to load. I cannot even switch from the gdm-prompt back to textmode.
    Last edited by TheSeer; 01-25-2007 at 04:13 AM.

It sounds like your problem could be a bug with the fglrx driver itself. I have heard of similar situations in general with the fglrx driver. Had it worked previously in any configuration?

Hyper Memory is to reserve some of your system memory for video buffer by the GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It sounds like your problem could be a bug with the fglrx driver itself. I have heard of similar situations in general with the fglrx driver. Had it worked previously in any configuration?
    Nope, never worked. The livna-provided drivers didn't work, so i tried to build my own since the ati driver release is newer and stumbled upon all the problems people had described in this forum (symlinks, control panel,..) and the problems with the fc7-dev kernel you provided the patch for.

Neither the fc7-dev nor the current fc6 kernel with the latest ati driver does work. It does a grafical boot and even show gdm, so "doesn't work" is not exactly true, but, as described, it freezes afterwards.

So the graphical boot works? Then try removing rhgb from GRUB so it will be a text boot and then see if GDM will start.

To remove rhgb, on the GRUB screen hit a, and then delete the "rhgb" segment.

Okay, did that - strange result

Gdm starts up but the screen goes blank - on vga as on dvi (even though dvi is another issue/story for later).
    Using a 2nd box i can still ssh into the computer though killing X froze the box hard. (to be exact, kill has no effect and kill -9 freezes)

xorg.0.log -> http://phpfi.com/197327
    Last edited by TheSeer; 01-25-2007 at 11:46 AM.

Should have a F7 script out tomorrow.

I have both good and bad news, I'll report back later today.

Default Yes, Fedora 7 test 1 and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I have begun work on the packaging scripts for Fedora 7 -- granted Test 1 isn't even out yet. The scripts should (hopefully) work with Test 1 upon release later this month, and if they do I'll commit them for next month's 8.34 fglrx driver release.

If anyone intends to use Fedora 7 Test 1 or any other test releases, please let me know in this thread.

Yes, I'm using Fedora 7 Test 1 and the subsequent versions. Please let me know how things are progressing with the scripts --

Thanks,

PW

Here's the brief summary.

I think I have Fedora 7 working with 8.33.6. It is building fine and I am about to reboot to see if it worked.

However, as it stands right now Fedora 7 will NOT work with the drivers coming out later this month. In some of the new firegl code in the driver's coming out later this month it adds some new instructions, which aren't compatible with the latest release candidates for 2.6.20 (mainly to do with INIT_WORK). The packaging scripts will work for Fedora 7, but as it stands right now the driver will not work unless you compile it against a pre-2.6.20 vanilla kernel. Though if I have the time I'll see about writing a patch so these drivers will compile against 2.6.20.

Basically, 8.33.6 will work but 8.34 may not.