Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GOG Game Service May Come To Linux

Quote Originally Posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
    ALso, Linux sound drivers lacking native MIDI support.
    Native MIDI is handled by ALSA in general. The sound drivers don't have much to do with it.

Timidity and fluidsynth have bad performance.

Try to run, for instance, Ultima Underworld (a game that was released for machines with Intel 386 and 2 MB of RAM) on an Atom N270 1,6 GHz. Impossible.
    Games supporting General MIDI run fine here. All I have to do is install FluidSynth and QSynth (a nice GUI for FS), run QSynth, load a soundfont in it, then ALSA uses FluidSynth (controlled by QSynth) for MIDI output, and DOSBox uses ALSA for native MIDI. And it sounds fantastic. Much better than in Windows with its shitty soft synth.

And for MT-32 or CM-32/64 games, Munt (current Git master) also sounds awesome, which also works through ALSA (though you need the MT or CM ROMs, which are copyrighted, but hey, a certain Swedish website has them.)
    Last edited by RealNC; 06-16-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Thank you, Michael! My apologies for bothering you so much!

Thumbs up DRM-free

Yay for DRM-free!

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Yay for DRM-free!
    And no regional pricing either! Considering some of the stuff certain retailers pull off (such as Steam with its 1 = 1$ fiasco), it may even be a bigger reason to love GOG than the fact that they don't include DRM with the games they sell.

GOG, Desura, Gamolith, Ubuntu Software Center, Console Classix
    How is it that Steam will be so late to catch up with other digital distribution services yet seems to be the one getting the most attention?

Quote Originally Posted by WorBlux View Post
    WINE unusually works pretty well for their games.
    Just to note, CDPR are working on native OpenGL port of the Witcher 2, but they are targeting MacOSX. So Linux users should give some feedback to them, that making Linux version of the game would be appreciated too.

Quote Originally Posted by zerothis View Post
    GOG, Desura, Gamolith, Ubuntu Software Center, Console Classix
    How is it that Steam will be so late to catch up with other digital distribution services yet seems to be the one getting the most attention?
    Take a look at how much money each one deals with on a daily basis. There's your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
    WINE doesn't run so well with certain games.
    I try to run The Witcher 1 and it had a lot of visual artifacts and glitches. No, no ATI drivers, but an nVidia GeForce GTS 250 with the nVidia binary driver.
    CD Projekt Red release Witcher 1 for OS X with winelib. They probably tune WINE or Witcher 1 to reduce visual artifacts and glitches.

Why didn't they ship their fixes for Wine upstream then?

Quote Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
    Why didn't they ship their fixes for Wine upstream then?
    I didn't said "They probably tune WINE". I said "They probably tune WINE or Witcher". They have Witcher source code, do you remember? I doesn't know what way they choice.