Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Linux 3.5-rc3 Kernel Released, Still A Bit Much

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,701

    Default Linux 3.5-rc3 Kernel Released, Still A Bit Much

    Phoronix: Linux 3.5-rc3 Kernel Released, Still A Bit Much

    The third release candidate of the Linux 3.5 kernel was made available on Saturday night...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEyMTY

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    946

    Default

    Michael just loves putting links all around pointing to his own site.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    845

    Default

    Yes I was assuming one of the links would be to the actual lkml announcement, silly me I should have known better.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    .ca
    Posts
    406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XorEaxEax View Post
    Yes I was assuming one of the links would be to the actual lkml announcement, silly me I should have known better.
    http://userstyles.org/styles/55221/p...e-urls-in-text

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Workarounds aside, what confused me is the question why he does it. Hiding trap-links behind convoluted sentence structures is annoying to those trying to find the news, and only a minor convenience for those who don't know the backstory. But then it's not just the related backstory, but often any halfway related article that can be fit in with a crowbar, so it doesn't appear to be for the benefit of the reader. Just an attempt to increase the google rank?

    I'd prefer restructuring news into three distinct stages:
    * The actual news
    * Sources (i.e. links to the original posts)
    * Related Articles

    That's easier to read and navigate and looks more professional, while diminishing neither google rank nor the ability for non-regulars to inform themselves about background stories.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rohcQaH View Post
    Workarounds aside, what confused me is the question why he does it. Hiding trap-links behind convoluted sentence structures is annoying to those trying to find the news, and only a minor convenience for those who don't know the backstory. But then it's not just the related backstory, but often any halfway related article that can be fit in with a crowbar, so it doesn't appear to be for the benefit of the reader. Just an attempt to increase the google rank?

    I'd prefer restructuring news into three distinct stages:
    * The actual news
    * Sources (i.e. links to the original posts)
    * Related Articles

    That's easier to read and navigate and looks more professional, while diminishing neither google rank nor the ability for non-regulars to inform themselves about background stories.
    I've wondered this too. I don't think it's a Google page rank issues, because I think Google's algorithm catches cheats like this.

    My best guess is he's trying to trick people on opening up old articles, to boost the number of page views his ads receive.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    My best guess is he's trying to trick people on opening up old articles, to boost the number of page views his ads receive.
    The articles not having their title in the URL but a completely useless (for humans) hash supports this theory, since people have to click the link to find out which article it was (until they decide just not to click any of those links).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    36

    Default

    -rc3 comes with the patch to enable hdmi audio on dce5/northern islands, that's at least one more shameless link to a barely related story.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •