Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve's Gabe Says "Yes" To Steam Linux This Year

Default Valve's Gabe Says "Yes" To Steam Linux This Year

Phoronix: Valve's Gabe Says "Yes" To Steam Linux This Year

Here's the latest in the steaming excitement concerning Valve's Source Engine and Steam client coming to Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTExMzA

I hope people won't start bugging him with various Valve (and non-Valve) related questions.

So end of this year in Valve time means 2014 in real time.

Still waiting for a video of Gaben actually saying it.
    If he doesn't talk about it at the E3 (tomorrow!), then I'll stick to my words & say :
    NOT BEFORE YEARS§

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalBrother View Post
    So end of this year in Valve time means 2014 in real time.
    ++ This. Seriously. As much as I do believe in Steam on Linux, no one should be counting on any release schedule from Valve for this.

If anyone has read over the Mike Abrash blog then you'll know there's no such thing as a release schedule or even an actual deadline at Valve!

Default Beta

I hope to see some pre-releases.

Alphas, betas, release candidates, etc.

The Linux gaming community is willing to beta test, report bugs, debug, and help out.

...and a company that hasn't released any official information at all (or unofficial for that matter) about any linux work, is going to confirm everything to a random internet stranger. I'll be taking that news with the Port Hedland salt works.

Quote Originally Posted by mirv View Post
    ...and a company that hasn't released any official information at all (or unofficial for that matter) about any linux work, is going to confirm everything to a random internet stranger. I'll be taking that news with the Port Hedland salt works.
    Exactly.
    Who's that guy (the one who received the mail) anyway ?

I hope this is a bad joke. Commercialization and embracing of Linux by corporations threatens to turn it into yet another flavor of Android. Linux must stay a system built for its users, not for all kinds of "investors" seeking to use it as a free distribution outlet for selling their snake oil (e.g. DRM'd programs such as Steam). I want Linux to be a safe harbor presenting an alternative to the greedy and insolent practices from the likes of Microsoft, Apple, EA and Blizzard (just to name a few) and so on. Admittedly, Valve's reputation is one of best in that bunch, but let's look at the facts: Steam is DRM, and every DRM goes against the spirit of collaboration, sharing and free software.

I, for one, call for boycott of every DRM on Linux, first and foremost - Steam.

Quote Originally Posted by kirillkh View Post
    I hope this is a bad joke. Commercialization and embracing of Linux by corporations threatens to turn it into yet another flavor of Android. Linux must stay a system built for its users, not for all kinds of "investors" seeking to use it as a free distribution outlet for selling their snake oil (e.g. DRM'd programs such as Steam). I want Linux to be a safe harbor presenting an alternative to the greedy and insolent practices from the likes of Microsoft, Apple, EA and Blizzard (just to name a few) and so on. Admittedly, Valve's reputation is one of best in that bunch, but let's look at the facts: Steam is DRM, and every DRM goes against the spirit of collaboration, sharing and free software.

I, for one, call for boycott of every DRM on Linux, first and foremost - Steam.
    You do have a point.
    When I heard about Android, I was so excited about it. When I finally got one, I felt a bit disgusted with it, but stuck with it realizing everyone else is as bad or worse.
    I like Linux because its free, open source, and pretty free of DRM and malware.
    Ubuntu now have a partner repository with proprietary software.
    How long is it until we get spyware and browser toolbars, changed browser home page, popups and adware and shit like that?

As Linux gets increasingly commercialized the plagues of Windows and the proprietary/commercial software ecosystem infect us.