Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Valve Picks Up Another Key Linux Developer

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,416

    Default Valve Picks Up Another Key Linux Developer

    Phoronix: Valve Picks Up Another Key Linux Developer

    Things appear to be moving along nicely in the Linux cabal at Valve Software as they work to enable Steam and the Source Engine on the Linux desktop. Here's another one of the new tenured Linux developers that will be starting soon...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEyMzE

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    One day I'll reach Alaska, or die trying!
    Posts
    287

    Thumbs up

    Woohoo!!! This is like candy to my ears...I can't wait to see what these amazing folks will come up with! With Carmageddon coming to Linux next year, man this is going to be the turning point for gaming on Linux.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Linux client, please.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,162

    Default

    The force is strong with this one.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    144

    Default

    I am so happy about the steam linux support, just hoping that alot of my steam games will be playable at some point.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,447

    Default

    this is great news. hopefully this will shut up all those trolls who for some weird reason strongly don't want to believe valve is making linux client products.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Over there somewhere
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    this is great news. hopefully this will shut up all those trolls who for some weird reason strongly don't want to believe valve is making linux client products.
    These people you're talking about have issues with being shown wrong. I won't name names, but they've even said that even if the Linux client materializes withing 2 years, they plan to stick to their guns like a mental patient and reiterate the breaking of this story wasn't based on anything but Phoronix trying to generate revenue and lying (?) to the community.

    I'd like to take this time to ask these folks to be sure they get their whole head in front of the shotgun. No sense in doing a half-assed job.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Larian View Post
    These people you're talking about have issues with being shown wrong. I won't name names, but they've even said that even if the Linux client materializes withing 2 years, they plan to stick to their guns like a mental patient and reiterate the breaking of this story wasn't based on anything but Phoronix trying to generate revenue and lying (?) to the community.
    It's certainly what it looked like for the last two years. Had there been clear signs from anyone at Valve itself, rather than just Phoronix, there'd have been much less doubt.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Over there somewhere
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elanthis View Post
    It's certainly what it looked like for the last two years. Had there been clear signs from anyone at Valve itself, rather than just Phoronix, there'd have been much less doubt.
    What would it have looked like if someone at Valve was giving Phoronix inside information that they weren't willing to confirm publicly?

    Really, I'd probably agree with you if it weren't for all the Linux references in their games and the pre-alpha build of a native client.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Larian View Post
    What would it have looked like if someone at Valve was giving Phoronix inside information that they weren't willing to confirm publicly?

    Really, I'd probably agree with you if it weren't for all the Linux references in their games and the pre-alpha build of a native client.
    My only issue was how michael kept trumpeting that it was "official" when it was clear from the start that he was getting very unofficial information that could have been reversed at any time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •