Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Linux Driver Support Still Leaves A Lot To Desire

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    It is not possible since windows 3.1, and every single my attempt has failed from there, because of HAL, driver integration (infestation) model and such things as NTFS streams.
    Repair option will just mess up the system. It is clearly stated by microsoft that REINSTALLATION is required when changing hardware.

I thought that your microsoft masters have instructed you about it, so stop FUDing.
    So it's not only me that thinks elanthis is just stupid troll who does FUD.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugaidster View Post
    Whether you like it or not, there are many users aggravated by most of what appears on that list. But I guess you either don't care about other people's problems or you're too enveloped in your own perfect world that you just don't want to see it. There's none so blind as those who will not see...
    What users? Just those who're dumb and this list is written by a moron and it's flawed. The list of regressions in the Linux kernel is very low and only idiots counts every architecture Linux supports and Windows can only dream about. To make a proper list someone should take a SINGLE Linux distribution. When a single Linux distribution is an example then nearly all of the biased list problems simply go away.

The last binary ETHERNET driver i remember was nvnet. forcedeth replaced it later. The other well known binary driver was broadcom-wl. It took ages (i would say around linux 3.2) till the standard kernel drivers could replace it completely. I would not say it was hard to install - i wrote for example a script with dkms support for wl and ubuntu autodeteced wl as well via jockey. It really depends on the background you have got to decide what is really hard and what not. Today most (w)lan chips are supported directly by the kernel only some rare ones (like fritz usb b sticks) are not supported at all. Well if there is a regression in the kernel it can hurt much as well. I don't know whats up with ipw2200 that network-manager did not allow wpa with it. But i dont have that chip to test on my own. In general i would say lan (ethernet) is very good supported, wlan maybe 90% or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Gaming hardware is sound cards and graphic cards? Sound is something I think everyone wants working. Graphics acceleration has become standard in nearly everything. Even FireFox is accelerated. OpenCL would have applications outside of games as well.

Also, like it or not, people don't go out and buy the latest fastest computer for typing documents and sending out E-Mails.

You're either....

A. An artist who's going to need the fastest graphics hardware anyway.
    B. A gamer who wants the best frames per second.
    C. Someone who has too much money.
    Graphics Accelleration works for me. With Free drivers. I don't need OpenGL4 for a wobbely window.

Creative cards are a no go for anyone who cares about quality. They are gamers cards. I'd prefer an M-Audio Delta any day.

Wouldnt it be simpler to use spdif? Then the cheapest card is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Wouldnt it be simpler to use spdif? Then the cheapest card is enough.
    If you're referring to the comment above about maudio-delta ~ that is a multi in/out proaudio card (low-end) - a little more useful than the SPDIF on your MOBO. Plus, if you are using spdif - you're probably going to need a proper stereo to do the decoding - which i would expect lots of people have, but for example - my system is hooked up to 'studio monitors' - which obviously render SDPIF useless, but provide more accurate (true), pristine sound.

Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    What users? Just those who're dumb and this list is written by a moron and it's flawed. The list of regressions in the Linux kernel is very low and only idiots counts every architecture Linux supports and Windows can only dream about. To make a proper list someone should take a SINGLE Linux distribution. When a single Linux distribution is an example then nearly all of the biased list problems simply go away.
    Didn't bother to read the rest. Obviously you're biased.