Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 97

Thread: Linux Driver Support Still Leaves A Lot To Desire

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Managua, Nicaragua
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamerk2 View Post
    Ummm...nowadays, drivers are downloaded automatically when the OS starts. And for USB devices, most of the time, the generic USB driver at least makes those devices usable.

    I sometimes think people haven't used a version of Windows since 95 or something...
    Well, I use Windows 7, and yes Windows Update usually does a good job of installign drivers, but not for all hardware. Take for example newer ethernet and/or wifi drivers. You do a clean install, but you cannot install the drivers using Windows Updates because you have no working network connection as the network devices were not recognized. Linux will have ethernet and/or wifi working out of the box most of the time.

    64bit support was a nightmare on the XP64 and Vista64 days for a lot of hardware. Thigs are different now witn Windows 7, but there are still many peripherals that do no have a 64bit driver to this day (printers, scanners mostly), but they do work on 64bit Linux and did early on.

    Quote Originally Posted by gamerk2 View Post
    Fully Dolby/DTS Bitstreaming/decoding, HDMI In/Out [including video, if connected to GPU], Output over Powered Headphone Amp [Variable Gain], 12 band EQ, full EAX 1-5 support, the standard X-fi enhancements, environmental effects, and the like.

    Again, headsets are simple, soundcards are much harder.
    I've played some movies that have DTS audio, and it did work with the headset. As for the effects, I don't use that under Windows anyways, so could not say. HDMI video and audio has worked with all my previous computers under Linux. Have not tested with the current one.

    If you read my full post (appears you did not), you would see I mentioned some real-world examples of things that did work and other that didn't, including some things that did work better under Linux.

    I'm not saying Linux driver support is perfect, but has been very good according to MY personal experience. I work in tech support for mostly Windows computers, and I can tell you Windows is not all roses when it comes to drivers.
    Last edited by glock24; 06-21-2012 at 02:35 PM.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default Creative Sound card driver support in Linux

    Hi,

    I used to do open source development of Creative/EMU Sound cards for Linux.
    I stopped because Creative/EMU started to actively oppose open source Linux driver development.
    So, Linux support for Creative sound cards is not a Linux problem, it is a Creative problem.

    There has also been a fair amount of discussions regarding Linux drivers for Nvidia hardware.
    I think everyone knows what Linux thinks of Nvidia! ;-)
    Nvidia allegidley could be violating the GPL, but no one is going to pursue it in court because the alternative is worse.
    I expect that if nouveau do finally get up to speed and on par with the closed source Nvidia drivers, the GPL violations will then be pursued and the liabilities against Nvidia could be considerable.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    180

    Default

    While Linux tends to 'just work' to some extent on most computer hardware, it is a superior experience on well-supported hardware. I usually recommend new users who are concerned about getting stellar performance and support to do some research to find devices that work well with Linux, just as most Mac users do with a Mac. Although you don't have to, it's still a good idea.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyborg16 View Post
    Yes, hardware support is one issue. But don't miss software support!

    Windows installers kind-of suck from a packaging perspective, sure. But installing some piece of software designed for Windows is usually a piece of cake. Software designed for linux but not packaged for the local distribution is often a pain to get working! (Audio issues, dependencies, etc.) This is important, and distro-dependent solutions are not enough!
    I agree, in fact that's what annoys me the most. To get the latest software you have to update the whole distribution or compile the application yourself. When using Linux you are constantly updating your system and most of the time something is broken after the update.

    The distributors just don't have enough time between releases for a good QA. If they wait too long, people are not able to use the latest hardware - if they release too often, they have lots of bugs in their release. Rolling releases are not the answer either, because their updates can break your system even more easy - you need a much better QA for a rolling release.

    There has yet to be a distribution which offers long term support AND updates for the most common applications (including the kernel). I would love to see Ubuntu release some "Service Packs" for their LTS releases where the base system is mostly the same and only the kernel and some applications are updated.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Managua, Nicaragua
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Temar View Post
    I agree, in fact that's what annoys me the most. To get the latest software you have to update the whole distribution or compile the application yourself. When using Linux you are constantly updating your system and most of the time something is broken after the update.

    The distributors just don't have enough time between releases for a good QA. If they wait too long, people are not able to use the latest hardware - if they release too often, they have lots of bugs in their release. Rolling releases are not the answer either, because their updates can break your system even more easy - you need a much better QA for a rolling release.

    There has yet to be a distribution which offers long term support AND updates for the most common applications (including the kernel). I would love to see Ubuntu release some "Service Packs" for their LTS releases where the base system is mostly the same and only the kernel and some applications are updated.
    I totally agree. This is the reason I wen from Mandrake to (K)Ubuntu, and then later Ubuntu was just as bad, so I've been using Arch since a couple of years.

  6. #66

    Default

    Where credit is due: major Linux problems

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,024

    Default

    and how a Linux installation can be migrated to another system without needing to blow out the installation
    (a) This is only possible in Linux for experienced users due to the way initrd images generally work. Only the drivers for essential hardware in the current system are put into the initrd in order to keep boot times reasonable, as the initrd has to be read off disk in its entirety (and then kept in RAM in many initrd configurations after bootup) before the system can continue booting, and including all drivers would take up a very considerable amount of space.

    (b) This is 100% possible in Windows going at least as back as far as WinXP. It only "fails" for the exact same reasons it fails in Linux, and simply using the Repair Install option from the Windows CD does all of the necessary init image fixing that Windows requires. That is, not only is it possible in Windows to move images between machines, it's actually _easier_.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    Problems exist with EVERY complex system. NO EXCEPTIONS.
    Simple fact is that microshit has MORE and WORSE problems.
    Did i say they didn't - clue: NO i did not! secondly, that isn't even a response to what i wrote and was responding too.

    As far as problems, that is all in the eye of the beholder. I could make list, after list, after list - of problems and limitations NOT found in Windows or MacOSX that PLAGUE linux.

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    If you don't agree with that, then GO BEND OVER FOR STEVE BALMER.
    A warning though: He uses CHAIRS.
    Why would i disagree with that, exactly. WTF are you even going on about, really?! you didn't address my points, and now your on some anti-MS steve Balmer quest of idiocy.

    I suppose you already found out that he uses chairs, you've got a sore ass and splinters, i would assume - by your general attitude.

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    Gimp does not require 3D acceleration.
    MS says fuck you to *EVERYONE*.
    No it's not a requirement, but AFAIK it is a modern feature set and should be utilized. It's great that you seem to think having your computer stuck in the 90's/2000's is awesome. But personally, being as i own hardware that supports it, and being as how other editing suites like adobe make use of OpenCL - why the fuck should i not expect to be able to have a modern system running modern applications using current technology???? (hint: i should expect NOTHING LESS).

    And by your logic Gnome-Shell doesn't require H/W acceleration, so you could always use Software Rendering instead...

    is that what you do on your machine?? - if not then shut it. (because you're just being a hypocrit).

    ..and honestly - who cares is MS says fuck you to everyone? i don't, since i don't use that crap at home, anyway. Mac/Linux only household.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    Video games = pasty whiteness, stinky, living in mom's basement, no life, virgin.
    Sorry if that offends you, but it is what it is.
    They do have addiction potential, yes, but only few titles. And then, almost any good thing in this reality has addiction potential.
    But in order to get to your "pasty whiteness, stinky, living in mom's basement, no life, virgin" state, the person should do much more than gaming.

    So, games are not equal to "pasty whiteness, stinky, living in mom's basement, no life, virgin", but they can be part of it, just as any addictive stuff can, that includes such things as work and career.
    Ever head of "workaholics"? They don't game, but they look same (substitute "mom's" for "boss' ", that is).

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elanthis View Post
    (a) This is only possible in Linux for experienced users due to the way initrd images generally work. Only the drivers for essential hardware in the current system are put into the initrd in order to keep boot times reasonable, as the initrd has to be read off disk in its entirety (and then kept in RAM in many initrd configurations after bootup) before the system can continue booting, and including all drivers would take up a very considerable amount of space.
    This is "thin" initramfs, there is also "fat" initramfs.
    Most distributions consider there can be problems when new hardware is attached, so they either include "fat" initramfs or regenerate it automatically.

    Quote Originally Posted by elanthis View Post
    (b) This is 100% possible in Windows going at least as back as far as WinXP. It only "fails" for the exact same reasons it fails in Linux, and simply using the Repair Install option from the Windows CD does all of the necessary init image fixing that Windows requires. That is, not only is it possible in Windows to move images between machines, it's actually _easier_.
    It is not possible since windows 3.1, and every single my attempt has failed from there, because of HAL, driver integration (infestation) model and such things as NTFS streams.
    Repair option will just mess up the system. It is clearly stated by microsoft that REINSTALLATION is required when changing hardware.

    I thought that your microsoft masters have instructed you about it, so stop FUDing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •