Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
The sad thing is you're still mixing things up. The stock Linux kernel is much more responsive (exactly in terms of latency) than Windows kernels, so you don't have to use low-latency one to make it better.
Theres nothing sad about me responding to someone who suggested that the rt kernel has a max latency of around 30ms, and stating thats too slow for an interative game. I never claimed those, nor any other figures were true, thus I don't particularly see your point that I'm mixing _anything_ up. Furthermore, I didn't claim that either Linux nor Windows was more responsive, only that the numbers quoted were more competitive. I'd hazard a guess that the amount of work required to produce an interative game may vary between platforms, but I don't particularly know anything about the platforms under the hood, thus I wouldn't and didn't suggest either was faster. Perhaps you could read what I've said, and understand the context of the discussuon before you jump the gun in future. Furthermore, if you are going to disagree with me (or rather, in this case, what you've imagined I've said) than you ought to actually back that up, otherwise you come across as a frothing at the mouth fanboy, which'll quickly get yourself ignored.

@minuseins - Whilst I'd be all too happy to game at 10ms latency with regards to pretty much all my equipment, when faced with opponents who're suggesting the human eye can't see over 24fps, I think actually displaying the differences between 100 and 1000 are measurable would be beneficial. Today we generally sit with game engines that have 33-50ms tick rates and monitors which have a delay of around the same number, and getting anything faster is significantly harder than it was 10 years ago. The industry is going in the wrong direction because of the "good enoughs" myths, and as someone who'd like to get things faster, I don't think theres any issue with setting the ideal speeds fairly high, as long as it gets us moving in the right direction.

With regards to latency, modern games generally take very little network traffic, however you are right that there is quite a difference between the 33ms tick rates, and 1ms tick rates, you'd be talking about 1000 times as much traffic in a 32 man server. I'm not sure off the top of my head if that'd be completely unfeasible, but it would eliminate many from online gaming; as a competitive LAN player though, the option would be nice. On top of that, input lag is additional to network latency (and server tick rates) as you're responding to the data you've been given. As you previously said, you're already behind, so limiting any further input lag is still beneficial, and shouldn't be ignored. Alas the competitive gamer doesn't get a whole lot of say in the matter, so at best I can cross my figures and hope they don't artifically limit those OLED (if they ever release computer monitors) to stupidly low refresh rates (ie, 60hz, which freaking sucks).