Intel Publishes Ivy Bridge Programming Documentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eugeni_dodonov View Post
    I also posted this to google+, facebook, twitter and irc. I don't know how much more louder should we announce a new set of documentation releases .
    Try posting to the LKML. That should get Michael's attention.

Comment

Intel vs Nvidia

With this documentation people can make a driver from scratch, regardless. So any shortcomings you might have today, can and will be addressed provided there is enough interest. With blobs you just can't fix things, or update them to work with new kernels/technologies.

If i were to recommend a laptop purchase, i would suggest staying clear of Nvidia and pick Intel. No optimus. The people working in the kernel is giving suggestions to nvidia to reduce the damage. For example: minimize the blob and move it to user space, document and expose anything that can, interface from nouveau, etc. We will see if they listen.

What happens if nvidia were to go bankrupt tomorrow, or decide to terminate the nvidia linux driver? Your hardware would cease to work. With Ivy graphics, this will not occur because the documentation is out.

Is nvidia a hardware or software company? Do they want to sell chips or drivers? Intel makes hardware, and in fact general purpose processors. It is logical that people would want to program said processors. What about gpus? Aren't they becoming modern day co-processors? What good is hardware you can't use?

It is not important for nvidia to release or open source their driver, but documenting their GPUs so people can use them is. Of course that would result in people making their own driver from scratch, but so what? Thats why they bough the hardware for, to use it. GPUs are rapidly becoming general purpose, with many parallel computing projects already. Nothing stops nvidia from moving blobs to firmware, either loaded from user space when driver initializes or stored in hardware, and expose the rest to the community.

Optimus people are begging for minimal support, such as being able to use a single gpu all the time. Why can't they possibly help with that? I believe this is the kind of thing which made Linus say what needed to be said.

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
        What happens if nvidia were to go bankrupt tomorrow, or decide to terminate the nvidia linux driver? Your hardware would cease to work. With Ivy graphics, this will not occur because the documentation is out.
        That's just plain old FUD at play. Documentation does not guarantee on going support. There are plenty of bugs that have been around forever in the free drivers for older product that have never been fixed meanwhile nvidia has continued supporting old legacy products.

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
          Is nvidia a hardware or software company? Do they want to sell chips or drivers?
          They call themself "software company", no joke.

Comment

To no suprise I'm going to buy an Intel based laptop with the IGP as the only graphic adapter, couse AMD just kicked my ass for the last time. Thank you Intel, keep up the good work!

Comment

Props to Intel for sure. My Atom 330 based HTPC I bought from new egg for $200, gets better graphics performance than my 4 core desktop with an spanky new AMD based HD7770 SI card. The video card alone cost almost as much as my HTPC. Having a great graphics card means nothing with out great drivers. If Intel was in the discrete graphics card business I would have given them a hard look.

As for whether NVidia lost out on that China deal ask the share holders. Between that and the stink wafting across the internet due to Linux's comments I am sure there will be share holders starting to ask questions.

Comment

Originally posted by pakolo View Post
                Hello to everybody, first I apologize for my poor english. As far as I know there is no support in Linux for Intel Quick Sync. This release would help in the future for having that technology available? It would be great to have such thing for ffmpeg, for example.
                Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Code:
                $ vainfo
                libva: VA-API version 0.32.0
                libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
                libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
                libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
                vainfo: VA-API version: 0.32 (libva 1.0.15)
                vainfo: Driver version: Intel i965 driver - 1.0.17
                vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
                      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointVLD
                      VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointVLD
                      VAProfileH264Baseline           : VAEntrypointVLD
                      VAProfileH264Baseline           : VAEntrypointEncSlice
                      VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointVLD
                      VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
                      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointVLD
                      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
                      VAProfileVC1Simple              : VAEntrypointVLD
                      VAProfileVC1Main                : VAEntrypointVLD
                      VAProfileVC1Advanced            : VAEntrypointVLD
                basically you have got the encoder available, but if there is an app to make real use of it i don't know...
                the top and bottom of this current lack of Intel Quick Sync use and interest from the generic x264.FFmpeg,AVconv dev's to date was apparently the quick sync API is to high level for integrating properly with their lower level routines (no real control over Quality v size etc) and the high ranking Intel person involved with them at the beginning never actually bothered contributed his specially written lower level API and code patches to the core dev's, to such an extent even the monthly x264 update month on month kept adding ever longer comments to their waiting for the "Intel sloths" fun to try and move them along...

looking at this new set of PDF's especially http://intellinuxgraphics.org/docume...Vol2_Part3.pdf it seems almost everything required is there from hardware programming POV (but OC only x86 windows quick sync centric)

so potentially as the main upstream code base for "cross platform" Audio/Video Encode and decode its upto the x264.FFmpeg,AVconv dev's and the other downstream dev's extensively using that code base to take a look talk to each other and come up with a New real cross platform generic long term API that can be integrated into the existing code base and make use of this and other new related x86/ARM A/V documentation , so far though iv not seen any core dev's even mention the possibility of writing new code around this new info and the occasional 3rd party's sending one off patch's to the core x264.FFmpeg,AVconv dev's are very few to date.

who know's! it may now get better if they all start collaborating around it with this new doc release, i don't expect MESA's limited AV patches to ever take x264/FFmpeg's pride of place as the No1 quality AV code base used by everyone.
                Last edited by popper; 25 June 2012, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jvillain View Post
                  Props to Intel for sure. My Atom 330 based HTPC I bought from new egg for $200, gets better graphics performance than my 4 core desktop with an spanky new AMD based HD7770 SI card. The video card alone cost almost as much as my HTPC. Having a great graphics card means nothing with out great drivers. If Intel was in the discrete graphics card business I would have given them a hard look.

As for whether NVidia lost out on that China deal ask the share holders. Between that and the stink wafting across the internet due to Linux's comments I am sure there will be share holders starting to ask questions.
                  Maybe your card is too new. I'm using an AMD Radeon 6870 and I'm getting excellent performance in Ubuntu 12.04 using both the fglrx and open source drivers. I do wish I could get some hardware acceleration from my gpu but my cpu is beefy enough to handle anything I throw at it. I'm definitely thinking about getting an Ultrabook with Intel's HD 4000 though, if not just to see how good Intel's open source support is.

Comment

Working...
                  X