Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xonotic Aims To Be The Best Open-Source FPS

Default Xonotic Aims To Be The Best Open-Source FPS

Phoronix: Xonotic Aims To Be The Best Open-Source FPS

While Xonotic 1.0 is still a ways bit out, this open-source game derived from Nexuiz is certainly shaping up to be one of the best open-source first person shooters available...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEyNjE

But Nexuiz si going to be on XBox 360, PS3 and PS Mobile, Steam. Xonotic is only on Desura, but it is a good way for pupularity this game.

Quote Originally Posted by olbi View Post
    But Nexuiz si going to be on XBox 360, PS3 and PS Mobile, Steam.
    Consoles are for casual gamers.

In my opinion it is the best open-source FPS, the best open-source in general. It deserves to be on steam!

But Nexuiz si going to be on XBox 360, PS3 and PS Mobile, Steam. Xonotic is only on Desura, but it is a good way for pupularity this game.
    Well Nexuiz is not open source and it's based on 3rd party engine.

Xonotic IS THE Nexuiz.
    "Nexuiz Si" is NOT Nexuiz.

Xonotic is available for any platform, you just port it.
    Nexuiz Si is proprietary crap.

Xonotic is my favourite Quake-based shooter. It is very polished and looks great!

Default Impressive yet dull

It looks visually impressive but I find Quake style FPS fundementally uninspiring. I was hoping for something with more depth in game play. It would be nice to see a team have a crack at something like Battlefield 1942. The game logic isn't such a huge stretch from a quake style shooter but is a lot more fun. We have enough quake style shooters. Really. We don't need another.

Quote Originally Posted by ronybeck View Post
    It looks visually impressive but I find Quake style FPS fundementally uninspiring. I was hoping for something with more depth in game play. It would be nice to see a team have a crack at something like Battlefield 1942. The game logic isn't such a huge stretch from a quake style shooter but is a lot more fun. We have enough quake style shooters. Really. We don't need another.
    I would like something like an open source UT2004.

the vehicles and game modes were awesome.

So far it seems there are no improvements from Nexuiz, except a bit of GFX. Which is starkly disappointing. Currently best FLOSS FPS might be Red Eclipse, mostly due a it having a less standard weapon loadout. Now.... if Xonotic added a actual game editor, it might turn interisting what sort of games there might be. Or to but it bluntly: Xonotic going for the "best 3PS meele game" would have been the best ever considering how large the devteam is.