Radeon 7850 and Ubuntu Precise
I am very interested by the new AMD Radeon 7850 graphics card because:
- It is silent (tired of having a vacuum noise in my pc)
- It uses less electricity
Well, this is not the most powerful of the market but it will be good enough to run my games on Linux (Thrine and other games of Humble Bundle)
But before buying, I'd like to know if:
- It is easy to install Linux / Ubuntu?
- The dual screen feature works well? (eg display TV + PC)
- What about games under Wine (and other 3D, it works as well as in Nvidia?)
- It is possible to use the audio through the HDMI?
Thank you for your feedback.
Hello, someone could share his experiment?
WIth a 7850, you'll have to use fglrx, which will probably suck badly with wine. In my experience it also kernel panics on shutdown.
So, do yourself a favor and buy nvidia, not least because most wine developers seem to test with nvidia.
That's only because AMD needs an increased number of skilled beta testers that are able to actually figure out what caused wine to break.
Originally Posted by barkas
No, amd just needs to allow anonymous access to the beta ftp server. It is as simple as that.