I am very interested by the new AMD Radeon 7850 graphics card because:
- It is silent (tired of having a vacuum noise in my pc)
- It uses less electricity
Well, this is not the most powerful of the market but it will be good enough to run my games on Linux (Thrine and other games of Humble Bundle)
But before buying, I'd like to know if:
- It is easy to install Linux / Ubuntu?
- The dual screen feature works well? (eg display TV + PC)
- What about games under Wine (and other 3D, it works as well as in Nvidia?)
- It is possible to use the audio through the HDMI?
I installed it yesterday and I see AMD graphic card work much better than 5 years ago on Linux, but that was not very difficult to do better...
1) On ubuntu precise, the card is too young and the radeon free driver does not recognize it. You have to install the Catalyst AMD driver 12.6.
2) HDMI audio with 7850 is not implemented in the precise kernel. I have to install a 3.3.7 kernel for Ubuntu and it works good!
3) with wine: I have a lot of problem, but there is solution all over the internet because there are a lot of people wich use ATI graphic card on Linux
4) good results with recent 3D games
5) dual screen ok PC+TV (clone or double screen)
I'll continue to post here my AMD 7580 experiment on Ubuntu precise
- how to use HD video acceleration
- driver stability?
- resolve TTY console
Install xvba-va-driver, check "Input & Codecs" -> "Use GPU accelerated decoding" in VLC preferences. Run "sudo amfconfig --set-pcs-u32=MCIL,HWUVD_H264Level51Support,1" if you need High@L5.1 video support.