Thread: Radeon 7850 and Ubuntu Precise

Threaded View

Install xvba-va-driver, check "Input & Codecs" -> "Use GPU accelerated decoding" in VLC preferences. Run "sudo amfconfig --set-pcs-u32=MCIL,HWUVD_H264Level51Support,1" if you need High@L5.1 video support.
    Thank you for your support but I'm asking me why it is not integrated with the driver by default?
    I try to install it on ubuntu, the package name is:

Code:
    $ apt-cache search xvba
    xvba-va-driver - XvBA-based backend for VA API (AMD fglrx implementation)
    I installed it and after reboot, my system was unstable and I had no more 3D acceleration.
    Because the ubuntu package was compiled with another and older Catalyst version, the catalyst version of the Ubuntu official depot.
    While I installed the last version 12.6 from the file on the official AMD site.

Anyway, I decided to compile my own package. For this operation to work you have to install catalyst drivers from AMD site and choose deb package installation.

To compile xvba-va-driver Ubuntu package from source, do:

Code:
    $  apt-get build-dep xvba-va-driver
    to install dependency to compile this package then

Code:
    $ apt-get source -b xvba-va-driver
    and finally install the package:

Code:
    $ dpkg -i xvba-va-driver_0.7.8-1ubuntu3_amd64.deb
    I don't know if it is necessary, but i saw on a forum I have to add this lines:

LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=xvba
    LIBVA_DRIVERS_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/

to /etc/environment file.

Reboot.

Finally I enable GPU acceleration in VLC but I didn't see a change, VLC continues to play video at 22% of my processor (intel core 2 duo 2ghz), like before the xvba-va-driver instalaltion...but I guess it is enough for 720 HD video playing.

Run "sudo amfconfig --set-pcs-u32=MCIL,HWUVD_H264Level51Support,1" if you need High@L5.1 video support.
    I didn't do that, I didn't understand what it is for...and my compute doesn't find amfconfig command.

AMD should integrate this video driver in the aim driver installation, it's a very annoying step I'll have to reproduce at each driver update...
    Last edited by legluondunet; 07-24-2012 at 02:38 AM.