Thread: Enlightenment's EFL Gets Its Own Physics Library

Hybrid View

Default Enlightenment's EFL Gets Its Own Physics Library

Phoronix: Enlightenment's EFL Gets Its Own Physics Library

The Enlightenment Foundation Libraries (EFL) that power the Enlightenment window manager now has a physics component...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEyNzY

Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    Cool. Does it work with Wayland?
    http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/wiki/Wayland

The EFL already had a physics component called ephys or something, but I guess this is deprecated now

Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    What is the point of having bullet physics in a window manager?? Eating more cpu cycles??
    It's part of the Enlightenment Foundation Libraries not the Enlightenment widow manager.

What is the point of having bullet physics in a window manager?? Eating more cpu cycles??
    Angry birds DIRECTLY in your DE !!!

You can grab a window and knock around other windows with it and they will react in a physically correct manner and even the window contents will react accordingly (hey! that actually sounds fun, gimme!)

Quote Originally Posted by XorEaxEax View Post
    You can grab a window and knock around other windows with it and they will react in a physically correct manner and even the window contents will react accordingly (hey! that actually sounds fun, gimme!)
    I thought the same thing - this would be an excellent addition to compiz. While it may be a little gimmicky, if implemented properly it could actually add functionality to the UI.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I thought the same thing - this would be an excellent addition to compiz. While it may be a little gimmicky, if implemented properly it could actually add functionality to the UI.
    Heh, well after the window contents bounce around they should 'automagically' move to their correct positions, also the windows should bounce against the screen borders unless you hit them very hard at which point they will fly into the next workspace (or even pass through several workspaces if hit hard enough)

Also by moving one window slowly against another you could make that window smaller by squeezing it in the direction you are moving (if the window you are pushing against is leaning towards the window border, else it would just bounce away)

tiling window managers are dead, 'physics-based' window managers are the future!!

Because why should we fix the bugs that already exist when we can add some cool features like a doom 4 engine right into your desktop! Because why the fuck would you want to open a folder in the open dialog when you can play a Left 4 Dead campaign and if you win then you get the menu!
    What the fuck are talking about? EFL is meant for building different kinds of applications including games. This has nothing to do with your desktop even if it's based on EFL.

Because why should we fix the bugs that already exist when we can add some cool features like a doom 4 engine right into your desktop! Because why the fuck would you want to open a folder in the open dialog when you can play a Left 4 Dead campaign and if you win then you get the menu!

Yeah good idea! Everything should be fun! Including pressing the shutdown button! Add some cool physics mini game there! Those idiots there have just fade in and out effects with water and other shit! We can be cooler! Lets add a first person shooter right after login!

Sometimes i fell that these idiots running these projects just try to show of their shitty programming skills so instead fixing stupid bugs and listening to their users they add pile upon pile of useless halfworking shit that nobody needs, but hell! It looks cool!

I feel like sometimes programmers actually need managers no matter how bad they hate them. It's just better for them to be told what to do then to be left at their own devices. At least then we might get something that works and maybe some coherency.
    ....you're either trolling, or have no idea what the purpose of EFL is. Given the tone of your words, my guess is trolling, but just in case it's not: EFL offers a wide range of support libraries for anything you can use on your desktop basically. That means gui widgets, media players, system control interfaces, the whole works. This includes desktop games, transition effects, splash screens, etc, all of which can use physics for various effects. Now considering who the "users" are here (the people paying money for these features) - this is what they want. They want fancy effects, and eye-catching gimmick goodies. And the EFL people generally like to have a nice, clean interface that's well coded - there's a reason Tizen is using EFL instead of gtk based windowing systems.

Yeah good idea! Everything should be fun! Including pressing the shutdown button! Add some cool physics mini game there! Those idiots there have just fade in and out effects with water and other shit! We can be cooler! Lets add a first person shooter right after login!

Sometimes i fell that these idiots running these projects just try to show of their shitty programming skills so instead fixing stupid bugs and listening to their users they add pile upon pile of useless halfworking shit that nobody needs, but hell! It looks cool!

I feel like sometimes programmers actually need managers no matter how bad they hate them. It's just better for them to be told what to do then to be left at their own devices. At least then we might get something that works and maybe some coherency.
    funnily enough we can select a folder in the open dialog. gasp. shock horror! and you may notice we ARE fixing bugs -multiple ones every single day. but maybe you don't read the mailing list or watch the bug tracker as bugs are closed (and opened).

of course you don't because you complain about a folder opening bug that never even existed in e. i've never seen a bug filed with that description nor a mail to that effect. i've never seen it myself. perhaps these "idiots"
    that make baseless comments on phoronix should actually know something of what they speak of first?

if you followed you'd notice this isn't ephysics in e - it's a physics library wrapper to glue bullet into the mainloop with a nice wrapper and evas objects so it can be USED for edje which is the layout engine so designers can more easily create the effects they WANT to create by spending less effort manually setting up fixed frame tweens and just setting up a world with properties and letting it "run". they want to and ask to do these things and we are obliging. they are designing their own apps and we are making it easier. believe it or not there are whole mobile stacks built on top of these libraries and layout engines that have their own requirements and desires and we have more than 1 person working on things - some on apps, some on new features, some on bugs, some on all 3.