Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chrome 20 Takes Over Adobe Flash On Linux

Hybrid View

Default Chrome 20 Takes Over Adobe Flash On Linux

Phoronix: Chrome 20 Takes Over Adobe Flash On Linux

Google's Chrome web-browser reached version 20 yesterday and for Linux users this marks the point that the web company has taken over Flash Player support on Linux from Adobe using its PPAPI implementation...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEyNzc

So when will we see PPAPI in Firefox?

Default Pepper in Firefox

Why doesn't Mozilla Firefox support PPAPI (Pepper)?

Bad bad bad , corruption image , problems with alsa , lost frames...:/, horrible ( ATI HD 4650, catalyst 12.4)

Quote Originally Posted by pandev92 View Post
    Bad bad bad , corruption image , problems with alsa , lost frames...:/, horrible ( ATI HD 4650, catalyst 12.4)
    Works perfectly well and is much better then old Flash.

Gallium drivers ATI HD 5750 and HD 6310

I haven't read the entire thread but has anyone had any issues with the new PPAPI? I keep getting issues with it where videos will run faster then usual for a few seconds and sometimes the video and audio will stutter whereby they play in a loop several times before continuing as normal.

I suppose this is a chrome only thing or is/will it be possible to take advantage of this with chromium?

Quote Originally Posted by R00KIE View Post
    I suppose this is a chrome only thing or is/will it be possible to take advantage of this with chromium?
    I am pretty sure this was a mistake in the post, because Chromium is the Dev OpenSource only version of the stable Google Chrome, and since the PPAPI isn't OpenSource, it is very unlikely that we will find flash directly on Chromium. So for now we have to just stay with the old version available in the repositories.

Chrome began lightweight but has turned into bloatware. My current Chrome install is about 107MB while Firefox 42MB. Firefox also starts faster while it was the opposite when Chrome first appeared.

Quote Originally Posted by aliasbody View Post
    I am pretty sure this was a mistake in the post, because Chromium is the Dev OpenSource only version of the stable Google Chrome, and since the PPAPI isn't OpenSource, it is very unlikely that we will find flash directly on Chromium. So for now we have to just stay with the old version available in the repositories.
    PPAPI is very much open source (the code is BSD licenced) and Chromium supports the API the same way as Chrome. Flash is closed source so it obviously isn't going to be shipped with Chromium by default. However it's quite easy to install the Flash player included in Chrome to Chromium. I'm personally running Chromium 20.0.1132.43 with Flash player 11.3.31.208 (PPAPI).