Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Potential Good News For NVIDIA Optimus On Linux

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,391

    Default Potential Good News For NVIDIA Optimus On Linux

    Phoronix: Potential Good News For NVIDIA Optimus On Linux

    There's some hope for NVIDIA laptop customers that rely upon their binary Linux graphics drivers that one day hope to utilize Optimus Technology...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEyOTQ

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    How many AMD Catalyst developers have publicly commented on the patches to date? Zero.
    They just silently implement xrandr 1.2 (3.5 years earlier than nVidia) and PowerXpress (Optimus analog; available since Catalyst 11.4) support in fglrx.

    What end users preferred more: comments or implemented features?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    They just silently implement xrandr 1.2 (3.5 years earlier than nVidia) and PowerXpress (Optimus analog; available since Catalyst 11.4) support in fglrx.

    What end users preferred more: comments or implemented features?
    Except PowerXpress doesnt actually work, not on my Acer 3810TG at least.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Support for muxed PowerXpress seems to have been dropped already longer ago (even though the actual 4000 series hardware is still supported in 11.4) and you may need hacks like vga_switcheroo to use it. But muxless graphics should be mostly working with the driver. I haven't looked up which one your Acer has.\

    Edit: the Acer 3810TG has Intel GM45 + Radeon HD 4330 graphics. Should be muxed. vga_switcheroo may help here.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Hy...vga_switcheroo
    Last edited by AlbertP; 06-29-2012 at 07:00 AM.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bug! View Post
    Except PowerXpress doesnt actually work, not on my Acer 3810TG at least.
    Sadly, there is too many issues with switch on MUX-ed hardware (ACPI bugs in my opinion is main reason) so only MUX-less support (that is majority right now). You can rely on BIOS switch (with fglrx) or vga_switcheroo (with radeon).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
    They don't have PowerXpress. They have a hack which defeats the primary purpose of Optimus/PowerXpress, which is power saving.
    Some people looking at this hardware from another side - ability to use more powerful GPU on laptop that they buy for desktop usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
    Nvidia wants to do it properly.
    And now you say something like "they delay xrandr support for 3.5 years for same reason". No, you didn't say that, because it's bullshit, just like in this case with Optimus. The truth is - they doesn't care about desktop usage at all, just face it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    502

    Default

    Your typical diversion BS tactics I see...

    Quote Originally Posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    Some people looking at this hardware from another side - ability to use more powerful GPU on laptop that they buy for desktop usage.
    And how exactly does this address my argument that AMD's hack defeats the primary purpose of muxless tech? It doesn't, it's just a diversion.

    Quote Originally Posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    And now you say something like "they delay xrandr support for 3.5 years for same reason".
    Nvidia taking their time to support xrandr1.2 (which wasn't that big of a deal, as they had twinview) has what exactly to do with muxless tech? Nothing, again a BS diversion.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    26

    Default

    With all the open source pledging efforts on different functionalities, is there a way to pledge money for NVidia Optimus support? (namely, this XRandR 1.5, possibly first using Nouveau + Intel, and finally, if NVidia has the will, Binary NVidia + Intel)

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
    And how exactly does this address my argument that AMD's hack defeats the primary purpose of muxless tech? It doesn't, it's just a diversion.
    Easily - first comment in this thread about customer needs, not marketing purpose of some thing. Not all customers need switch between GPU one the fly, some need just powerful GPU, but there is no laptops without MUX-less graphics anymore. AMD provide service for such customers in the driver, officially. nVidia doesn't care about desktop usage at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
    Nvidia taking their time to support xrandr1.2 (which wasn't that big of a deal, as they had twinview)
    Anyone who use both of TwinView and xrandr and deal with multi-display setup tell you xrandr is better (proper refresh rate detection by applications, ability to rotate not all displays but one, per-display applying of colour profiles, etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
    has what exactly to do with muxless tech? Nothing, again a BS diversion.
    Again. You said "Nvidia wants to do it properly." I said "they doesn't care about desktop usage at all, just face it". Proof: xrandr implementation 3.5 years story, Optimus support case (they already lag behind AMD for one year here). Now you get it?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    They just silently implement xrandr 1.2 (3.5 years earlier than nVidia) and PowerXpress (Optimus analog; available since Catalyst 11.4) support in fglrx.
    They don't have PowerXpress. They have a hack which defeats the primary purpose of Optimus/PowerXpress, which is power saving. And there's mentions that it introduces lag.

    Nvidia wants to do it properly. And until they can do so (xrandr1.5 is released and they get access to dma-buf or figure out another way to share buffers with intel), there's Bumblebee.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    They just silently implement <...>
    Sometimes too silently. *looks at XvBA*

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •