Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 66

Thread: AMD Catalyst 12.6 For Linux Disappoints

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by energyman View Post
    so debian fucked up their xorg-server and that is amd's fault?.
    Actually AMD fucked up when they linked the driver to libpciaccess (using 32 bit pointers on a 64 bit distro is not such a good idea)
    Dont know why its only an issue on Debian

    EDIT: There is an ugly hack to work arround the issue at http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=522#c5
    Last edited by rechapit; 07-02-2012 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Added link to hackfix

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rechapit View Post
    Actually AMD fucked up when they linked the driver to libpciaccess (using 32 bit pointers on a 64 bit distro is not such a good idea)
    Dont know why its only an issue on Debian

    EDIT: There is an ugly hack to work arround the issue at http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=522#c5
    But if you use Debian 'unstable', why do you expect everything to work?
    I don't complain that the open source radeon driver has issues with Linux 3.4.4 on Gentoo but rather file a bug report for it.

    (the issue is, that ColorTiling2D stopped working with the newer kernels and causes problems with xrandr expanding to external displays)

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,687

    Default

    The same error is of course in debian wheezy, which will be frozen soon. i just verified that that hack works, but that shows how stupid fglrx devs are - the reason was posted when the beta was out and they did NOTHING. why call it beta first when the final is the same?

  4. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    why call it beta first when the final is the same?
    Not the same. Look at this thread: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...-on-HP-Envy-15

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,687

    Default

    Well a differnt control file does not mark a different driver, it was just recompiled with the wrong options.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Well I would like to add that full screen flash was garbled for me on 12.6 beta, but works fine on 12.6 final. It could have been a problem on my end, but changing the driver fixed it, so

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    why call it beta first when the final is the same?
    It's funny, because most people have the opposite complaint. Why call something a beta if you change everything? That's what an alpha is for, they say.

    You can't please everyone.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    It's funny, because most people have the opposite complaint. Why call something a beta if you change everything? That's what an alpha is for, they say.

    You can't please everyone.
    May be one shouldn't quote that out of context, so that it makes sense:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kano
    the reason was posted when the beta was out and they did NOTHING. why call it beta first when the final is the same?
    Why call it beta if you don't fix the bugs? That's what a beta is for, they say.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
    May be one shouldn't quote that out of context, so that it makes sense:
    Why call it beta if you don't fix the bugs? That's what a beta is for, they say.
    I feel like i should be growing a goatee.

    Seriously, though, I have never, ever, heard this complaint before that final releases should include more feature changes from betas. At least not that i can remember off the top of my head.

    It's one thing to say that the final product sucks. Complaining about the release process not throwing in extra untested and possibly bug-producing changes at the last minute is a different argument.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 07-04-2012 at 05:50 AM.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    I feel like i should be growing a goatee.

    Seriously, though, I have never, ever, heard this complaint before that final releases should include more feature changes from betas. At least not that i can remember off the top of my head.

    It's one thing to say that the final product sucks. Complaining about the release process not throwing in extra untested and possibly bug-producing changes at the last minute is a different argument.
    The reason for a beta is to fix bugs that you did not find in closed testing. So if you don't, why have a beta at all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •