Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install Ati Catalyst driver on Ubuntu 7.10 “Gutsy Gibbon”

Well you never tested my script Maybe I will add dkms support, I am playing with that for some time now and find always new bugs...

Quote Originally Posted by bogdanbiv View Post
    *** Note: This is a short guide for people in a hurry. For a more authoritative guide, or if you run into errors, please read the guide at http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide ***

Step 1) Install packages need to install the driver ...

sudo apt-get install dkms libstdc++5 dpkg-dev fakeroot debhelper dh-make
    It might help to note that amd-64 will require ia32-libs and it's a good idea to update kernel headers on a fresh install.

linux-kernel-headers-2.6.22-14-generic

might as well install it here rather than later, like this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install dkms libstdc++5 dpkg-dev fakeroot debhelper dh-make ia32-libs linux-headers-2.6.22-14-generic

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Well you never tested my script Maybe I will add dkms support, I am playing with that for some time now and find always new bugs...
    I'll be happy to try it out . Can you provide me with link?

Well still without dkms support:

http://kanotix.com/files/install-fglrx-debian.sh

But with -v option to try any older driver release (with integrated patching if possible).

I have tried that Kano's script and works nicely.
    Kano... last time i used it it mentioned something about Ubuntu/edgy... could you fix that to ubuntu/gutsy.

ive followed it all and managed to install every thing but i cant seem to open the control center ?

is there something im missing?

Why doesn't the automatic installation of the binary driver package work? Why should we compile and do everything ourselves? Doesn't the binary compile and automatically install itself? I don't understand. Actually the previous driver before 8.3 worked to automatically install. But now the 8.3 doesn't.

As I understand it, you are just compiling the very bottom end of the driver -- the part that hooks into all the kernel bits. That part is delivered in source form - the rest of the driver is delivered in binary form.

Default fglrx 8.3

Quote Originally Posted by Vantskruv View Post
    Why doesn't the automatic installation of the binary driver package work? Why should we compile and do everything ourselves? Doesn't the binary compile and automatically install itself? I don't understand. Actually the previous driver before 8.3 worked to automatically install. But now the 8.3 doesn't.
    As I understand it, you are just compiling the very bottom end of the driver -- the part that hooks into all the kernel bits. That part is delivered in source form - the rest of the driver is delivered in binary form.
    AND... you need to install custom header source code for your specific kernel before you can compile the driver module, the "bottom" source part.

I have installed and tested 8.3 on Deb Lenny and it's much better than before. Smoother, a bit faster and it feels more stable. I write my install experience in the ATI Wiki if someone who knows more about editing is interested in taking it from there.

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Cat..._Documentation

The Debian Lenny driver install was quite simple.
    • Install linux-headers
    • Download driver
    • Run install
    • aticonfig --initial
    • REBOOT
    Compiz is a bit more complicated. The repository for lenny apparently does not have a complete compiz meta so you have to install compiz plugins and the backend explicitly. See link above for specific details. I don't know who maintains the wiki but hopefully this will be tested and posted ASAP.

Oops, wrong thread for Deb Lenny... It should be very similar. I'll go update my Gutsy install and see if it's the same.
    -Tom
    Last edited by siggma; 03-09-2008 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Thread notice

Quote Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
    ive followed it all and managed to install every thing but i cant seem to open the control center ?

is there something im missing?
    The FGLRX driver?
    What doe sit say when you enter:
    #amdcccle
    or
    #fglrxinfo