Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 42

Thread: Microsoft is trying to replace Linux-based government OS in Russia

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    1.) well keeping that my daily job is very tight to information security i disagree here, sure all OS are hackeable but windows server 2003/2008r2 never took me more than 5m googling and 5 minutes hacking[Legally under contract] it to the bones[ppl get impressed when im in a rdp session making hell in servers and admins can't even see the processes running and their uber CA security/UAC/etc doing nothing except asking to open a word file LOL].
    1a.) Mac OS X out of the box is lot harder to hack but still somehow easy[maybe 1h ] but at the end of the day Mac is BSD and when you harden the OS[you can google some guides] it become quite difficult to hack[Apple just make it insecure but the OS can be very sturdy but it affect the easy of use]
    1b.) Linux/FreeBSD/etc are hellish to hack specially if you do things right, sometimes it took me weeks sometimes i give up but to hack linux you need to get extremely creative
    1c.) OpenBSD true nightmare hellish level to hack, if i see an OpenBSD server and the root password is not "123456" i just label it as secure and save me a couple of months of pain[ofc can be hacked eventually im not saying is perfect but god damn is hard]

    so concluding yes everything that has internet has a chance of getting hacked but there are vastly differences and is very short sight to assume all are equally insecure and when you work with security[the whole package not just the OS] you need to set levels cuz you have levels of hackers and level of interest for hackers, for example[this is from my own experience]:
    level 1 - 3 Soho/small bussiness.) main OS windows SBS -- change to hack 9/10 -- hacker type 1-4[kiddos proving they are cool/ex-employees/spammers/etc] -- in this level you won't find a hacker able to break linux or OpenBSD
    level 4 - 6 medium size bussiness.) main OS windows SBS -- change to hack 8/10 -- hacker type 1-7[kiddos proving they are cool/ex-employees/spammers/low profile industrial spionage] -- in this level is veru unlickely find a hacker able to break linux or OpenBSD
    level 7-10 bank/gov/big corporation.) main OS Unixes/windows -- chance to hack 1/10 -- hacker type 7-10[higly skilled proffesional hacker/high profile industrial espionage] --in this level you will find hackers spending months/years try to hack their way regardless the OS cuz the reward is big enough for the effort in previous cases is very unlikely unless you piss off the guy and he make his life goal to screw yours[Gene simmons anyone??].

    2.) ok sure but what are you using?? cuz like i said i never in ten years suffer from this at userspace level and i like i said using many different distros, so it call my curiosity what the F is causing that unless you have a propietary application compiled a decade ago to run on RHEL, in that case it could be but using FOSS software i can't believe it

    There is no realy monetary gain in hacking linux, "outside of bank systems etc"and the only reason most avoid it, is becuase theres no particular version to hack. The diversity makes it secure, not the code itself. I'd lay odds that the linux OS ecosystem code base is a far clunkier mess of shit then most any closed source system.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by russofris View Post
    Wait... Competition is healthy for "everyone" except the ones duking it out. I'm not sure if you meant it as you stated, or were having a senior moment.

    F
    you do understand the anti-competitive nature of duoplys correct ?

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
    There is no realy monetary gain in hacking linux
    How about all those companies seeking Linux programmers/hackers/admins/specialists ??!

    Quote Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
    , "outside of bank systems etc"and the only reason most avoid it, is becuase theres no particular version to hack.
    Linux components are just so random, there is no releases, no 2-4 softwares per specific role but 255 , no major distros with LTS, etc.
    YEAH!

    Quote Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
    The diversity makes it secure, not the code itself. I'd lay odds that the linux OS ecosystem code base is a far clunkier mess of shit then most any closed source system.
    Linux codebase was proven to be one of the tidiest EVER, unlike that of microsoft containing HACK over HACK!!

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
    Your trolling yourselves, by refusing to hold yourselves as a group accountable for your shitty behavior and your lack of concern for software quality. Don't blame the messenger.
    Messenger of what? You haven't been able to point out one specific fact that backs your bullshit statements. You obviously don't know anything about Linux as is evident by your comments, yet you feel you have to troll sites like this and spread you lies about a operating system you are obviously not using.

    Man, you must lead such a sad life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
    I'd lay odds that the linux OS ecosystem code base is a far clunkier mess of shit then most any closed source system.
    Hah, coming from a guy who doesn't even know how to code? Now I would not pass any judgement on the code quality of closed systems as I've had no chance to examine it, however I've seen nothing indicating it would be of any less quality than that of 'proprietary systems'. Given how Linux is totally dominating in hpc / supercomputers, used heavily in stock markets, military, industrial settings, embedded, servers then I'd say it having great code quality is a given. But please, if you can point to any code in the Linux kernel tree which is of poor code quality, please do so.

    Just came upon this link today, describing the use of Linux at CERN, http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/07/l...discovery.html

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
    you do understand the anti-competitive nature of duoplys correct ?
    They are not anti-competitive by nature. They are quite the opposite. It is only when they commit an anti-competitive act (price fixing for example) that they can be viewed as anti-competitive. I doubt that Apple and Google are engaged in such behavior, and present MS's Android patent licensing as a counter argument. The competition is so intense that MS is attempting to inflate the cost of it's competitors' products.

    I agree that it's a strange game, and I'd be terrified if I were forced to play.

    F

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
    There is no realy monetary gain in hacking linux, "outside of bank systems etc"and the only reason most avoid it, is becuase theres no particular version to hack. The diversity makes it secure, not the code itself. I'd lay odds that the linux OS ecosystem code base is a far clunkier mess of shit then most any closed source system.
    I agree. If you wanted monetary gain, the linux kernel is usually a bad place to start. Typically one would start by working on the foundation technologies of the target. Financial institutions typically use a SSL front end, a java middleware tier, and an atomic (Oracle) backend. It would be far more productive to target these implementations than the linux kernel. Heck, it would be far more productive to look for some weak perimeter device than it would be to go after the core technologies, depending on the breadth and purpose of the attack. Why waste time and effort hacking when a mortgage broker's password is "Hello01"?

    F

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17

    Default Some truly childish sentiment...

    First, let me start off by saying that, through your lack of presentable facts and hastened, disorganized conclusions, I can reasonably say that it seems apparent as if I am conversing with a child on this subject matter. The absurdity of your conclusions and the audacity of your arguments, substantiated by nothing more than mere propagandistic and uncertain theories, continually portray a sentiment based on little knowledge or foresight, and were this analytical approach taken to political discussion, I assure you that you would most likely be labeled as a conspiracy theorist.

    Perhaps you'd benefit from understanding the difference between an assumption and a fact. Nevertheless, I guess I'll still be taking my time to respond to your ridiculous rantings...

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Nokia? Enough?
    Actually, no; that's not quite enough. Microsoft and Nokia both agreed to a mutual business partnership. That's a corporation-to-corporation pact, and is in no way related to what you're asserting as a corporation-to-government bribery. In addition, just simply pointing to an unrelated event such as the agreement between Microsoft and Nokia, and then using that to justify your position here (in which Microsoft has "bribed" the Russian government) is, once again, making assumptions. I repeat, you have failed thus far to provide me with any source of Microsoft's financial, corporate, or social involvement with the Russian government, whatsoever. It's highly unnecessary to reference to extraneous occurrences, unless you have the intended purpose of directing attention away from the flaws in your premises.


    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Point 1) minister of communication is to vote FOR MS-based solution AND against already in-development Linux based OS
    Okay, and just because he's for Microsoft and against a specific Linux distribution, that makes him "corrupt?" I don't care if it's already in development. Have you considered his possible considerations on the detriments to Linux (I'd not care to hear you respond telling me that there are none whatsoever; you're living in a dreamland if you think Linux has no issues)? What makes you think you know so much about the Russian government's specific situation here? Is every government official who chooses something by Microsoft over a Linux solution considered an effect of "bribery" and "corruption," simply because they made a decision you were unhappy about? Are you unaware of the possibility of the solution presented by Microsoft, for their specific scenario, being better than whatever Linux solution they had originally? Until you bring further information about this, your claims are all part of a series of overreaching speculation.

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Point 2)
    Okay. Besides the fact that you've now lost track of the argument at hand here, in pertinence to how your source shows bribery on the part of Microsoft and not about the popularity of Windows, I'll humor with a response.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    second minister has SIGNED RESIGNATION IF Linux-based government OS program will be closed. MS-W is already used in Russian government FOR AGES, and is hated due to being insecure. They had the source code delivered to them and that didnīt help much!
    Once again, another baseless claim. I question how you're so "knowledgable" about what the Russian government's opinion is on Windows. Do you work for them?

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Point 3) how often do you see ministers threating with resignment just for fun?
    So, I take it that if a minister isn't resigning in protest to corruption, the only other possibility must be "for fun." -__-
    For your sake, I hope you adopt a more broad perspective in your outlook on politics. It's highly probably that the minister simply resigned in protest to only the adoption of a Microsoft solution over a Linux one, on a technologically-ideological basis (and not a belief in corruption). In fact, if you reread part of the article...
    Quote Originally Posted by Original Article Source
    "Global Agreement with vendors for state agencies - a quick victory, which came to nothing lead. Now Russia - one of the few countries in the world that can make their own operating systems. And the conclusion of contracts with foreign companies puts an end to the domestic industry, as giants such as Google and Microsoft, are not interested in the development of Russian programmers "- explained Massukh.
    ...you can see that he's more concerned about the ability for Russian programmers to benefit from a Russian-made operating system. It doesn't seem like he's concerned with the fact that it's just something by Microsoft, and he even lumps Google and other "tech giants" in there, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    If you want to call deputy personally, you can easily FIND his number on internet and ask him away!
    Let's not be unreasonable. Saying that a source is easy to find is a worthless statement. I've yet to see you provide one on your own.

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    You have 1+2+3 as proof, you also have fact that choosing MS over already-in-development Linux-based solution will mean closure for the later.
    What do you want more?
    Again, I've defined here what it means to have baseless claims. You have yet to provide me with a source, and until then, you have no right to assert your claims as "proof."

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Yes, it is GOOD they try to compete, but for government - for any government a non-trusted OS is unacceptable!
    This has something to do with informational security and control.

    ----------



    Ah, "butthurt" effect! Your microsoft masters unhappy? GOOD! Enjoy!



    Yeah, back to your swastika screen.
    Despite this not being to my response, I must note how terribly childish it is. For you to even reference to such a far-reaching video makes me begin to doubt if you're even worthy of a discussion. I'm sure there are numerous offensive symbols one could make with a distortion of the Tux mascot as well. Let me know when you've matured in thought. Until then, reason seems to be a hopelessly remedial trial with you...

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XorEaxEax View Post
    Messenger of what? You haven't been able to point out one specific fact that backs your bullshit statements. You obviously don't know anything about Linux as is evident by your comments, yet you feel you have to troll sites like this and spread you lies about a operating system you are obviously not using.

    Man, you must lead such a sad life.
    I don't have to point out shit, linux is a giant cluster fuck, and the users, yes YOU, the user community is so hostile to any form of criticism that no one really wants to deal with you fucking idiots, hardly anyone. Seriously. See that market share ? what 1% at best ? yeah, nobody wants to deal with you people. You know why ? Your all raging assholes.

    Hah, coming from a guy who doesn't even know how to code?
    Says whom ? You don't know what I do and don't know.

    Now I would not pass any judgement on the code quality of closed systems as I've had no chance to examine it, however I've seen nothing indicating it would be of any less quality than that of 'proprietary systems'. Given how Linux is totally dominating in hpc / supercomputers, used heavily in stock markets, military, industrial settings, embedded, servers then I'd say it having great code quality is a given. But please, if you can point to any code in the Linux kernel tree which is of poor code quality, please do so.
    I can pass judgement fiarly easily, they turn out a polished product, most closed studios. Obviously code quality is superior becuase people are even willing to pay for the privilage of using that software. But hey, code quality must all be orginizational right ? I mean commenting, code style etc ? Thats the hallmark of quality ? not really. Show me one competitng program thats open source that sucessfully competes with a closed source product ?

    bueller ?


    Just came upon this link today, describing the use of Linux at CERN, http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/07/l...discovery.html
    wow, scientist using a easily customized operating systems that seasily tailored to their specific needs. What a shocker.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
    I don't have to point out shit, linux is a giant cluster fuck, and the users, yes YOU, the user community is so hostile to any form of criticism that no one really wants to deal with you fucking idiots
    Lol, you can't even point to anything specific and yet you claim the 'community' is hostile to criticism? The 'community' (whatever that defines) is obviously hostile to made-up bullshit which is the only thing you've ever presented.

    Again I can't fathom what drives people like you, I mean you don't like using Linux, that's perfectly fine. I don't particularly like using Windows but I would never waste one second of my life running around on forums attacking it, or by making up lies, I simply don't use it.

    But then we have guys like you, you've spread countless lies about Linux over at Haiku.org which have done nothing but highlight your ignorance and now you come here (and likely other places I'm not aware of), a Linux-centric site and continue to spread these same lies. Is it a mental disorder or do you simply have nothing more meaningful to do with your life than to make up lies about a system you are not even interested in using?

    Seriously, put your energy to something creative, learn to code and write something for Haiku for instance, liking Haiku is the one thing we agree on so why not spend your time on furthering it's useability?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
    Says whom ? You don't know what I do and don't know.
    My estimation of your programming ability comes from the comments on the subject I've read from you on both Haiku.org and Haikuware.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
    Show me one competitng program thats open source that sucessfully competes with a closed source product ?
    Firefox. Simple as that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •