Thread: Linux distro for mac?

Hybrid View

Default Linux distro for mac?

Hey guys, I have recently been given an old blue Mac PowerPC G3 and am looking to learn Linux on it. I have been told that it is possible to do this and that I just need to find the right distro. Can someone point me in the right direction? Keep in mind, I am a Linux noob lol.

You might investigate Yellow Dog Linux. I've never used it myself, but I hear it's the way to go for PPC Linux.

That looks like a good option, but it's not free, is it? Either way, I like it.

I see that Ubuntu supports PPC platforms. How do you guys feel about Xubuntu? It looks like it might be a good choice because the Mac is older.
    Last edited by Armagetto; 06-29-2006 at 11:44 AM.

I've used Xubuntu briefly on an amd64 system and it seemed just fine. Normally I use Kubuntu, but they're all pretty much the same aside from the DE.

All Linuxes are free as required by the GPL. Even if someone charging for it, you'll always have the option of getting it for free (at least the source...). Some distros are quite inconvenient to get running with paying for support, etc., but I don't think Yellow Dog is one of them. The download page is here.

Sorry to inundate you with noob questions, but I see directions for burning the ISO from Linux, MacOS and OSX, but not Windows. I only have a XP machine to burn it from. Can I just do it in Nero?

Yeah should be fine to do in Nero.