Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

Hybrid View

Angry Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

Anybody here play Diablo 3 via Wine? Not anymore...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5978861022

I play D3 in wine and it still works just fine for me. As far as anyone can tell, there's a total of FOUR people complaining of being banned... hmm...

I guess this guys really cheating.

Or maybe their anti-cheat program sometimes gets false positives, like just about every other aggressive anti-cheat program on the planet. VAC is known to have banned people in the past for legitimate actions taken by Steam, and Punkbuster used to be so bad that it was actually exploitable (i.e. you could type the magic strings it was scanning for in chat and get a bunch of people banned because those strings were then in their memory). Just to be clear, I'm not saying they were "banned for using Linux", just that using Linux doesn't make you immune to false positives for other reasons, and Blizzard couldn't have extensively tested for such under current distros + current Wine releases, so the likelihood of hitting a blind spot in their testing is higher in that situation.
    Last edited by Ex-Cyber; 07-03-2012 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
    Or maybe their anti-cheat program sometimes gets false positives, like just about every other aggressive anti-cheat program on the planet. VAC is known to have banned people in the past for legitimate actions taken by Steam, and Punkbuster used to be so bad that it was actually exploitable (i.e. you could type the magic strings it was scanning for in chat and get a bunch of people banned because those strings were then in their memory). Just to be clear, I'm not saying they were "banned for using Linux", just that using Linux doesn't make you immune to false positives for other reasons, and Blizzard couldn't have extensively tested for such under current distros + current Wine releases, so the likelihood of hitting a blind spot in their testing is higher in that situation.
    Really?

"Unsupported Hardware or Software

Although our games are often playable on a lot of unsupported hardware and software configurations, these same setups will often block the system survey from completing its job. Some of the unsupported hardware and software that can issues with our system survey include: Unlawfully obtained operating systems (pirated copies) User-modified Mac operating systems running non-standard hardware Unsupported operating systems such as Linux or AmigaDOS
    If you are unable to connect to our game during a system survey period due to unsupported hardware or software, you will either need to temporarily play on a supported system or wait until the survey period is over to resume playing. System surveys typically last for about a week, but may run for a shorter or longer time."

http://us.battle.net/support/en/arti...roubleshooting

I have no sympathy for the people who pay Blizzard for the game. Serves you right.

Quote Originally Posted by fettouhi View Post
    Anybody here play Diablo 3 via Wine? Not anymore...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5978861022
    Just so you know guys, I was banned too a couple of days ago so I can confirm this is still happening..
    Play-on-linux, ubuntu 64bits.
    The funny thing was I only played for like 5 hrs just to try out the game... (used the starter edition trial installer) and then I got busy I never touched the game for like 2 weeks. Then blizzard emails me telling me my account is suspended and I'm using unathorized software and hacks..
    Although I was never planning to buy the game as I am too busy to play full time ( I just wanted to play till level 5 or something just to see what it was about as I was a huge diablo 2 fan), I contacted them with all the info, asking them to lift the ban and to confirm whether they just banned me for using wine.
    Here's the crappy answer that I got...

Code:
    Greetings, 

Thank you for contacting us. An additional review of the action taken against the Diablo III account on xxxx@gmail.com has been completed. We have confirmed our initial findings, and the account action will not be reversed or changed.

Actions are based on the violation's severity and take previous violations into consideration. This action was taken in accordance with the Terms of Use (http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/) and our Diablo III Policies (http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-policies), which all players acknowledge and agree to before logging into the game.

We understand that these policies may seem harsh, but they are in place to ensure that every player is able to enjoy their time in Diablo III. Thank you for respecting our position.

Sincerely,

Customer Services
    Blizzard Entertainment
    www.blizzard.com/support
    Anyhow, lesson learned... uninstalled it in two seconds and never looked back. I'll just stick to playing Torchlight or something easy that has better linux support

http://www.pathofexile.com/

Diablo III was a fail on every level.

Lightbulb At least they admit Linux is advantage over windows :)

A third party program is any file or program that is used in addition to the game to gain an unfair advantage
    Well, at least even Blizzard admits Linux is advantage over windows, buahahaha . Though I don't see how it's "unfair" granted everyone could download it for free.

Quote Originally Posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
    Well, at least even Blizzard admits Linux is advantage over windows, buahahaha . Though I don't see how it's "unfair" granted everyone could download it for free.
    Well joking aside, this is a touchy subject for the people that paid 60 (!) bucks for the game! I've read numerous forum posts that many people could not get a refund. If that happened to me I'd be sooo pissed.