Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Imagination Releases New PowerVR GPUs

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,611

    Default Imagination Releases New PowerVR GPUs

    Phoronix: Imagination Releases New PowerVR GPUs

    While Imagination Technologies has yet to change their stance on allowing open-source Linux graphics drivers or improving the quality of their closed-source Linux driver IP, they released two new GPUs today in the PowerVR line-up...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEzNjA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    205

    Default

    And with that kind of computing prowess, we’re talking about reaching levels of performance that approach the HPC market.
    Then they should better realize that the HPC market is dominated by Linux and change their driver policies.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in front of my box :p
    Posts
    838

    Default

    Imagination Tech is even worse than VIA or Nvidia. I make sure not to buy any of this stuff unless they open up sepcs and drivers. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. And I don't want the latter.
    Shame also on TI for still using these things in their boards.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    418

    Default

    with the limaproject and the freedreno I belive it was, there is now hope. The allwinner soc is being powerd by a mali 400GPU.

    I forsee that by years end, we might get a few raspberry pi-like boards around the same price point making people happy. Or so I hope. Then some media boxes with said boards or derivatives and with things like XBMC running on them in the next year pushing the opensource GPU soc's more. At that point, Broadcom/PowerVR either join or loose. Or so I hope anyway.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in front of my box :p
    Posts
    838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oliver View Post
    with the limaproject and the freedreno I belive it was, there is now hope. The allwinner soc is being powerd by a mali 400GPU.

    I forsee that by years end, we might get a few raspberry pi-like boards around the same price point making people happy. Or so I hope. Then some media boxes with said boards or derivatives and with things like XBMC running on them in the next year pushing the opensource GPU soc's more. At that point, Broadcom/PowerVR either join or loose. Or so I hope anyway.
    The LIMA/MALI project is a nice thing indeed but won't help an single percent to the ImgTec chip situation. Moreover all these projects are driven by reverse engineering which is still a painful thing to do.
    Well, unless "deciders" on the "decider floors" decide to use mali chips instead of ImgTec because of the existance of a free as in freedom driver. But somehow I am not so sure about that.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,191

    Default Fuck Imagination Technologies!

    Fuck Imagination Technologies!

    It's too bad Texas Instruments uses PowerVR in their OMAP system-on-a-chipset solutions.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adarion View Post
    Well, unless "deciders" on the "decider floors" decide to use mali chips instead of ImgTec because of the existance of a free as in freedom driver. But somehow I am not so sure about that.
    Not unheard of. It's probably more a question of when someone (china) will do that.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in front of my box :p
    Posts
    838

    Default

    Well, indeed. A lot of Chinese users just use unlicensed copies of everything, but also a good bunch wants to be in charge and have control over their machines and not be influenced by closed "western" technology. (Though most is made at the end in China anyway...). Well, there is still hope that some people will choose a model with free drivers and express the why of their decision.
    Maybe one (hopefully not so distant) day it will be totally common to deliver hardware per default with a free driver and specs for interested devs.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Imagination Releases New PowerVR GPUs

    While Imagination Technologies has yet to change their stance on allowing open-source Linux graphics drivers or improving the quality of their closed-source Linux driver IP, they released two new GPUs today in the PowerVR line-up...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEzNjA
    And with that, Nvidia is pushed a further two years behind. I really hope that Nvidia starts getting less design wins. Their SoC's are consistently crap.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    386

    Default

    They lie about horsepower/watt. Vivante for example has almost 20Gflops/80mWatt@65nm or Tflop/Watt@28nm. And yes they need to change their driver policy, or else we wont bay their GPU, when we get rid of Android (for a standard Linux), from our Quad-Core Smartphones and Tablets.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •