Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Dance Around The Fire: X.Org XAA Is Burned

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,629

    Default Dance Around The Fire: X.Org XAA Is Burned

    Phoronix: Dance Around The Fire: X.Org XAA Is Burned

    Prior to closing the merge window for X.Org Server 1.13, Keith Packard pulled Daniel Stone's latest patches, which have killed off XAA acceleration support for DDX drivers...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEzNjg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,027

    Default Slimming down

    Nice to see the documentation improving, the code base being slimmed down with old deprecated stuff being removed.

    What is next to get burned with fire (i.e. thrown out) ?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Nice to see the documentation improving, the code base being slimmed down with old deprecated stuff being removed.

    What is next to get burned with fire (i.e. thrown out) ?
    Given that we've halved the codebase since taking over in 2004, I'm not really sure what else is left.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,067

    Default

    The XKB dependency

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daniels View Post
    Given that we've halved the codebase since taking over in 2004, I'm not really sure what else is left.
    XKB, Xlib and Xt?
    Also what about all those extensions, are they needed?

    Maybe throw out xeyes and the rest of the useless demos and utilities into a separate tree.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Maybe throw out xeyes and the rest of the useless demos and utilities into a separate tree.
    Lol, you're a few years behind the times with that.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    The XKB dependency
    Haha, well played.

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    XKB, Xlib and Xt?
    You don't have to build Xlib and Xt if you need them: they're in a totally separate tree.

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Also what about all those extensions, are they needed?
    Sadly, yes. We went through them all one-by-one a while ago and have already binned pretty much everything we could.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daniels View Post
    Sadly, yes. We went through them all one-by-one a while ago and have already binned pretty much everything we could.
    Well if all code that can be removed has now been removed.
    What's next?

    Do you think/see Xkb being removed?

    What's next?
    What's coming to X?
    Is it all about Wayland now, or is there X12?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Well if all code that can be removed has now been removed.
    What's next?

    Do you think/see Xkb being removed?
    Sadly, not ever, no.

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    What's next?
    What's coming to X?
    Is it all about Wayland now, or is there X12?
    Depends on what people want to do. Personally I've almost entirely been working on Wayland for the past few months, but as you can see others are working on X too. And people are bound to create their own. Let's see what happens.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •